Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Passage does not exist... :'(

Hi

For unknown reasons, the keys on my laptop stopped working, so I had to email my project to another computer, download Twine, and work on it there. I have downloaded the project and it will run, but strange things keep happening. First, none of my links that had an -> (which I'm using for presentability) would appear as links, even though they light up blue in Twine. I changed that in all of them to -->, and then they displayed as links, but as single "-"s , and highlighted in red. When I try to use the links, I get this message:
Error: this passage does not exist: |Begin
The passage clearly exists. What do I do to fix this? I am using Twine 1.4.2, and Sugarcube. My browser is Firefox.

Thank you!
Phoebe

Comments

• As noted in its markup documentation, SugarCube now supports the arrow separators (-> & <-), introduced with Twine 2, in links.  This is a fairly recent addition, so if you were using an older version on your laptop, that would explain the surprise.

[quote="SugarCube Markup Language > Links"]Also, in addition to the standard pipe separator (|) used to separate the Link and Text components (as seen below), SugarCube also supports the arrow separators (-> & <-). Particular to the arrow separators, the arrows' direction determines the order of the components, with the arrow always pointing at the Link component (i.e. the right arrow works like the pipe separator, Text->Link, while the left arrow is reversed, Link<-Text).

If you wish to use the same sequences in a link, but have them treated as normal text, then you'll have to quote those uses.

For example, all of these should be valid: (assume Go forth -> is your link text and Begin is the link)

[["Go forth ->"|Begin]]
    [["Go forth ->"->Begin]]
    [[Begin<-"Go forth ->"]]
  • Thank you so much! I was afraid I had somehow messed up the story.
    Of course, now I can see that it thought the passage title was |Begin, not Begin. It all makes sense!
    Thanks for clearing that up :)
    Phoebe