Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trans Game Jam for Charity

Hi all,

My name is Kara Jayne (@riotjayne) and I'm one of the admins working on #JamForLeelah, a month long trans-positive game jam to raise awareness on LGBTIQ issues, trans youth issues, and exploration of gender identity. In case you didn't read about Leelah Alcorn, she was a 17 year old trans girl from Ohio who took her life due to pressures by her parents (amongst other places) to stop being trans. In her suicide letter, published on Tumblr, she pleaded to fix society and make it easier to exist as a trans person. It also turns out she was a huge gamer and wanted to get involved in game dev at a later date, but never got a chance to. #JamForLeelah is a way for us to raise awareness with something she would have perhaps taken part in. We're also trying to raise awareness for a petition to ban conversion therapy, and are applying an optional donation paywall for people who are submitting to the jam. All proceeds will be donated to the Transgender Law Center, Camp Aranu'tiq, and the Sylvia Rivera Law Project. It begins on the 17th of Jan and finishes up on the 17th of Feb.

I would like to invite all of the talented twine devs here to take part if you're at all interested in participating, and if you'd like more information about the jam, feel free to ask me here or on twitter, or check out http://itch.io/jam/jamforleelah

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Thanks for sharing this, and for heading it up! It sounds like a really great thing, and I'll definitely try to participate.