Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendation: "Undo" Functionality

edited January 2015 in Help! with 2.0
Been using Twine 1 for awhile and just recently moved over to Twine 2 for a new project. Today I discovered that you can apparently accidentally delete passages with absolutely no way of recovering them if you have not been lucky enough to have recently archived. Frankly, I am stunned that there is no 'undo' button... Let's just say I was more than a little upset when I realized I had just lost some of my work for no other reason than the fact that my cursor accidentally hit the trashcan button when I was trying to move a passage, instead of selecting the passage itself.

Recommendation:

a) Create some sort of undo feature (ctrl+z) like Twine 1 had. I understand this might not be possible with the new browser format, which brings to b)

b) Create a confirmation stop between the point of selecting delete and actually deleting. When you try to delete a passage that could potentially contain hours of work, the program really should not just accept that you are doing what you intend to do. Its scary how easy it is to delete something. Having a simple dialogue box ask us if we really want do delete a passage would go a long way in preventing this type of unfortunate situation.

This may already be in the works for an update, but if not, hopefully this is something that could be implemented. I think it would help save the tears and frustration of many future Twine 2 users. As it is now, it is far too easy to accidentally delete a passage.

Comments

• I wholeheartedly agree, I've already done this 3 times. So demoralizing v_v
  • This would be wonderful.
  • I'll vote for this as well.

I was having a bit of a low framerate session on the tablet. I was trying to drag my nodes into a more tidy layout and then the touch screen interpreted a drag as a series of clicks - one of them deleting the passage. The one in question was a critical node - I had to reconstruct the story from my backups.

Just banking the last deleted passage is enough really.
  • This is a huge usability issue. If you are designing the controls for a jet airplane, you don't put the controls for the ejector seat and the windshield wipers right next to each other. But that's what's happened here.

undefined

It needs to be more difficult to delete a passage, or there needs to be a confirmation, or there needs to be an undo function.
  • +1 for this idea, safety first.
  • I second (or third, or whatever) the confirmation dialog for deleting a passage.

A full-on "undo" is overkill to remedy the crux of the problem. It's unnerving that one accidental click can irreversibly erase a passage.
  • Echolocating wrote:

I second (or third, or whatever) the confirmation dialog for deleting a passage.

This is great, but a trash bin where deleted passages get sent would be even greater. Admittedly more difficult to add, though, while a confirmation dialog on delete would be relatively simple.
  • This is being tracked here.