Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about programming standards

I'm running into a problem that has to be pretty common here, and was hoping that others had found a solution to it.

My problem is that when a user does something to set a flag (let's say a flag for having found a key), the variable for the flag is not affected by the user hitting the backup button. This means that they could get the key, then just hit backup until they were at a much earlier point in the story and still have it.

Is there an elegant way around this? Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• You need to state which Story Format you are using, answers can be different for each one.

I believe that Harlowe disables the browser's back / forward buttons and that it winds back a variable's value history when a Reader uses the built-in undo button.

SugarCube winds back a variable's value history when either the browser's back button or a <<back>> macro is used.

Could you supply example passages showing what you are trying to do.
  • Wow, I didn't realize the system was as robust as that! I've played with it a bit more and saw that I was setting the variables in an odd way. The more I mess with this system (I'm using Harlowe), the more I like it.