Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harlowe bug: Broken links to passages with underscores

Hello, I hope this is the right place to report bugs specific to Harlowe and not Twine in general. If not, Mods, please redirect me and delete :)

Links to passages containing two or more underscores in the name are rendered as broken links. See the example story attached. Only seen in the Harlowe template, using Chrome 40 on Windows 7.

Not a breaking bug since you can just, you know, not do that, but I haven't found it documented or mentioned anywhere else! Cheers.

Comments

• This may have something to do with the underscore being the markup symbol for emphasized text.

If you look at the HTML generated by the following passage example you will see that the text is wrapped within an <em> tag:

_This Text is emphasized using italic by default_
    You could use the markup escape symbol (`) to get around this issue but when used within a link the Twine application incorrectly creates a passage with the wrong title:
    eg. When Twine sees something`_goes`_wrong it creates a passage with that title but the link in the HTML file will link to something_goes_wrong instead.

[[Link to a passage with two underscores->something`_goes`_wrong]]
  • Yup that makes sense, I came to the same conclusion after looking at a few other threads when I searched here for "underscore". I didn't know there was an escape character though, so thanks for that!