Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

visitedTag issues in Harlowe (question from a beginner)

I'm new to Twine and am designing a simulation with good, so-so, and poor choices users can select along the way.  I've tagged the passages (green, yellow, red) and want to count up, say, how many "red" passages a user went through, to be displayed at the end.  I've found forum threads about this for 1.x and have read most of the documentation for Harlowe, but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

What I'm currently using (after a lot of trial and error messages about syntax) is:
You chose <print visitedTag("red", "red")> illegal questions or poor choices.

This doesn't produce an error message - it just doesn't show anything:
"You chose illegal questions or poor choices."

Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• Harlowe is a new Twine 2 story format, because of this almost all the help/information related to macros and functions found in both the Twine 1.x forums and wiki will not be helpful to you.

As the Harlowe documentation explains, the format of it's macros are (macroname:)

Harlowe currently does not support Passage Tags so there is no built-in macro/function that behaves like the visitedTag() function found in the Twine 1.x story formats, though it does have the (history:) macro which returns a list of all the passages the Reader has visited.

If you want to to use Passage Tags within your story's code then I suggest using the SugarCube story format instead.
  • Thanks!  I'll give that a try.  Will there be any issues switching to SugarCube from Harlowe I should be aware of?
  • Besides the macro format and the list of in-built macros being different, not really. The SugarCube documentation is well written, and because SugarCube supports both Twine 1.x & 2.x most of the help/information in the Twine 1.x forums is still relevant.