Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't compile file

I reformatted my computer a couple months ago and forgot to back up the most recent one and I'm now trying to compile an older one. No matter what I do, I can't compile the file and all it does is freeze twine.

Comments

• Have you installed the relevant story format files?
  • Ashara wrote:

I reformatted my computer a couple months ago and forgot to back up the most recent one and I'm now trying to compile an older one. No matter what I do, I can't compile the file and all it does is freeze twine.

I believe that your stating the following:

You installed Twine 1.4.2 on a reformatted computer, you open an old story TWS in the application, you selected the Build > Build Story menu option, and after choosing where you want the HTML file to be saved the Twine application freezes!

If the above is correct the I have some questions:

1. Was the old story TWS file created with Twine 1.4.2 or an earlier version
    2. Which story format are you using to build your HTML file?
    3. Does your story have a large amount of images in it?
    4. If you create a brand new story, does the Twine application freeze when building the HTML file for this new story?
  • Sorry about that I just remembered I posted here. :-[

When I try to import the story from an HTML file all the program does is freeze up and then I have to restart the program. I can compile other ones but not this one certain file and I've even tried to import the same file after downloading it from my 4shared account. Also, yes I can build other stories I just can't import this one.
  • If the HTML file you are importing contains a large number of text passages and/or more than a couple of images then it can take quite a long time to import all the contents.

Because of the way importing is implemented the application does not update (re-fresh/re-draw) the screen while it is processing the import, and this is why the screen appears to of frozen.
  • Got it to work after leaving it alone for a few hours, I had imported a few html files with pictures in them but they had never taken so long before so apparently I never gave it enough of a chance. Thanks for the help guys.