Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harlowe 1.1.0

edited March 2015 in Help! with 2.0
Hiyas,

I am just getting into Twine 2 and really enjoying absolutely everything so far, however I keep hitting into some of the bugbears in Harlowe 1.0.1.

I see that most of the issues I am running into are fixed in the new (unreleased) version, 1.1.0, and would really like to give this new version a try (knowing full well of course that this is pre-release and therefore cutting edge, I am willing to get a few nicks in the process)

Is there anyway to import this new version of the Harlowe format into the Twine 2 Online version?
I have already imported the really awesome "Illume" proofing format, so I know the process, I just am unsure what link to put into the import dialog.

Kind thanks in advance,
P

Comments

• As far as I am aware there is currently no on-line version of the 1.1.0 Harlowe format.js file, instead you need to download the Harlowe source code and build your own copy of the file.

This process is talked about in this thread and this threat. Once you have built the format.js file you would need to host the file on a web-server, either locally or remotely, and then added it to on-line Twine 2 like any other story format.
  • Thank you kindly Greyelf :)

I will give that a try.
  • It may be worth noting, that those on Windows will need to install additional tools to get this working, aside from grunt, npm and node.js.
    I got it working by installing the below, but I suspect that I only needed the top item, I installed all three at the same time and the format.js compiled without any issue. Under a *Nix based system, you would already have the first two in all likely (or gcc, which is the *nix equivalent for VC++)
  • Oh and one more note to all who pass here, when you finish compiling the .js file, consider editting it and replacing the "Name" field from "Harlowe" to something else, like "Harlowe10". This way when you import it to the online version (actually to your browser "cookie" store locally) it won't overwrite your older Harlowe, and you can swap between the two.

If you do accidentally overwrite the old Harlowe before you manage to edit the Format.js, you can fix this through Chrome as per below:
    [list type=decimal]
    Open up your Twine 2 Stories dashboard
    Hit the "F12" Key to open up the built-in web developer tool
    Open the "Resources" tab
    Expand "Local Storage" and click on "http://www.twinery.org/";
    Find the "twine-storyformat" that starts with {"name":"harlowe"
    Delete this stored resource
    Close the web developer tool, go back to the Twine Stories dashboard, and re-import the amended format.js
  • Pneuma wrote:

I am curious what part of the Harlowe build process needed the above because I have built it in the past on Windows and don't have Visual Studio installed.
  • Hi greyelf,

I did try to indicate that I mostly think it was Python, and I simply took a chance on trying all three after looking up a solution for an unrelated npm package that had the same error message.

The process that was failing for me was the build of "node-ssas".

I must admit that I did not troubleshoot thoroughly enough, and was just eager to get into the new version, and was really happy to get the format.js built and working.