Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Very Dumb Question I Can't Find Anywhere on the Forum

Greetings--

I'm new. For some reason anytime I try to loop BACK to an already established passage, the program makes a new passage with the exact same title.

So, for instance, if my START passage is named "Green Room", when I get to a fail state and try to link back to the beginning with a [[Green Room]], the program makes a new, empty "Green Room" instead of linking to the already established passage.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!!

Comments

• I assume it's because just simply putting it in double brackets designates it as a new passage. Try other methods of pointing to passages like the goto: command and [[Random text here|Green Room]]
  • OK, that makes sense-- I'm creating something new every time I double bracket it. Got it.  Thank you.

I will look up how to properly formulate a goto command and try that.

The [[random text|Green Room]] just results in a broken link, but I assume that's because I need to figure out how to use the goto in tandem with it.

I feel like there is something very obvious I'm missing here in terms of going back to the beginning of the game from a fail state or even just returning to another room via link and not back button....

• OK-- I feel ridiculously dumb but I can't for the life of me make a link that goes back to the beginning after a fail state. This has to be easier than I'm making it. I simply want to say, "Too bad, you failed! Let's try this again" and have the link go directly to the first passage/start of the game. What am I missing?
  • You're using the default Twine 2, yes? (Harlowe)

If you are, there's absolutely no reason why, assuming your starting passage is named "Green Room", [[Green Room]] shouldn't link back to it. [[Test|Green Room]] and [[test->Green Room]] should as well.

It's also possible that you have some extraneous white space in your starting passage's name. Could you paste the code that you have that isn't working?
  • Thanks for responding! I'm also glad to hear it may not be me ;)

Yes, Twine 2, online, default setting.

So my first room is called "Your Cubical". No accidental spaces at the beginning or middle, I just checked.

My fail state room describes what went wrong and then I've tried the following:

[[Try Again|Your Cubical]]

and

[[Try Again->Your Cubical]]

Whenever I try either of these, it makes a brand new room.

I've also tried it with other passages, and every time I try to link to a room already in existence, the program simply makes a new room with the same name.

• I tried the following two tests.

1. Create four passages, the last three via the auto create associated with the [[Passage]] link, so that they formed a circular link 1-2-3-4-1.

2. Create four empty passages, which I then added links to so that they formed a circular link 1-2-3-4-1. Each link found the existing passage and did not create a new passage.

Both of these tests worked using both the downloadable and hosted versions of Twine 2.0.3 in both Firefox and Chrome running on Windows.

What version of Twine 2 are you using? (downloadable or hosted)
    What web-browser are you using (brand, version, 32/64bit)
    What OS are you using? (brand, version, 32.64bit)
  • Last night, I found that I could not link back to the starting point passage either. I tried naming it different things and tried all the methods above to get it to work.

The editor drew the connecting arrow, but in the game, it gave me the circle with the line through it when I hover over the link—It couldn't be clicked. Yes, I tried clicking on it regardless of the symbol.

However, I closed my browser and opened it later and the problem was "solved."

I'm replying to this old thread because it is the first result with a Google search.