Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[All] Solution for lag from big projects

This is more of a general tech question than specific to Twine, but what is the generally accepted way to reduce or delay the lag you experience from very big and complex projects? Get more RAM, faster processor, etc?

I just bought my first SSD, hoping it would help, but so far I haven't seen any difference.

Comments

• This answer is going to sound like a cop-out but it depends on what is causing the lag / unresponsiveness.
    It could be any of the things you mentioned or just badly written software. **

Could you give an example of a situation where this happens?

** There was a article on Slashdot the other day that manipulating large string could be faster if done on HDD than in Memory. But it turned out that the code used to run the tests was extremely badly written.
  • Charisma wrote:

This is more of a general tech question than specific to Twine, but what is the generally accepted way to reduce or delay the lag you experience from very big and complex projects? Get more RAM, faster processor, etc?

It depends on what you're talking about, but, in general, more RAM never hurts and loading data from an SSD will be faster than a spinning HDD (though, probably only serious video editing and "big data" projects are significantly limited by storage speed).

Beyond that, Twine has some peculiar slowdowns all its own.  Absent further elaboration, I'm going to assume you're asking because of the way Twine's story map slows to a crawl on projects with many passages.  The usual solution to that issue is to use the StoryIncludes special passage to break your overall story into separate TWS files upon some logical grouping of passages, thereby reducing the number of passages in each section/file (and thus in each story map).  Searching this subforum for StoryIncludes, should yield various examples.