Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small TWINE 2 job, taking bids

2»

Comments

• Actually, here's an updated version which changes several of the pixel units to relative ones and aligns the indent on leading paragraphs with the indent on normal paragraphs.
  • hahaha - OF COURSE YOU MADE AN UPDATED ONE
  • Well, I noticed that I hadn't aligned the indents, so yeah.
  • I would tell you that you were awesome, but it might go to your head!
  • One more question.....(since the greed monster has snuck in here)

How would I ever implement the 2.0, when you finish it?
  • Do you mean how will you develop in it, or how will you publish work made with it?

Former: You will likely import the "format.js" similar to other story formats.

Latter: You need no other additional steps with custom or pre-release formats than you would the built-in or current versions. In the Story Editor, click on the "Publish to File" option in the menu and this will save the html. Ensure that the images are correctly addressable and upload everything to the web host of your choice.
  • That does make sense.  The reason I was asking was simply because I was thinking that we had made some changes to a part of it, and then we would end up overwriting those changes later with an upgrade.

With, for example, WordPress, you have this concept of themes and then child themes and if you make changes to the main one, you lose them when an update happens.

I wasn't sure if the same thing happened here.

Know what I mean?  What if he has different naming conventions or something? Although I guess he wouldn't since this was a CSS change only.
  • SugarCube 2.0 will require an updated BLEACHED style set once it's released.  I don't think any of the "bookish" styling done here would require updating.
  • If you've done any custom CSS I doubt it would be overwritten.
  • Claretta wrote:

If you've done any custom CSS I doubt it would be overwritten.

Correct, a format won't overwrite/delete styles, scripts and passages.

However, they might become non-functional in future updates. It won't disappear, but you may need to re-target some styles after some upgrades, for instance if Leon were to upgrade Harlowe and change the name of the "tw-passage" element, you would need to make minor adjustments.
    Also if some of the main layout elements were to change, and you use absolute positioning in the CSS, you may have to fix this, as an upgrade could make everything look wonky.

Not a show stopper, just something to keep in mind when you are importing new Format.JS styles.
  • True. I will watch out for that in 2.0.