Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which to start with, Twine 1 or Twine 2?

I am new to Twine.  Should I start out using Twine 1 or Twine 2?

I appreciate that Twine 2 includes some improvements over Twine 1, so it seems logical to go with the "newest model".  On the other hand, because Twine 1 has been around longer the documentation for it seems much more thorough, which might be nice for someone like me that's just starting out.  So I'm torn between the two.  And I'm sure there are many other things that could factor into the decision that I'm not even aware of.  What would you suggest I start with?

Thanks for any advice.

PS - My apologies if this question has already been discussed a lot but it's a difficult topic to pinpoint via search engine ("twine 1 vs twine 2" for example will turn up just about every post every written in this forum).

Comments

• The answer will depend on what visual styling and features you're after.

That's a very broad question because there isn't really a set Twine 1 or Twine 2. That's just the backend. A lot of the features are done by the particular story format, which also influences documentation.

I was new to Twine and went with Twine 2 + Sugarcube and it's worked out for me, but there are other ways you can go.

• I second Claretta, choose based on your preference for the formats available. Twine1 has more flexibility at the moment, and you can easily import a theme such as the ones Leon put together.

Twine2 on the other hand has a much easier bar to entry, especially if you are using the online version. There is nothing you need to download, compile or install, just point your browser at the correct URL and off you go.

Also depending on your comfort in programming, you can make any story format sing the exact tune you want. If coding is not your forte, stick to a format that you more or less are happy with, and perform some mild style changes.
  • I will say, however, that I really love some of the Twine 2 features. I use the "start story from this passage for debugging" feature all the time. Don't know if Twine 1 does that.
  • Claretta wrote:

I use the "start story from this passage for debugging" feature all the time. Don't know if Twine 1 does that.

Yes, Twine 1 has that feature as well.
  • Thank you for your responses!

It sounds like I should ask this follow up question: how do I go about choosing a story format?  Is there a document or website or discussion thread that compares/contrasts the pros/cons of the different options?
  • Sharpe wrote:

You're putting too much thought into this. ;-)

Just pick Twine 1 or 2 (flip a coin if needed) and create a quick, simple game or story. You'll be glad you did.

Otherwise, SugarCube is very popular for both versions. Sugarcane is the default for 1 and Harlowe for 2.

Here's the Twine Wiki where there is a lot of basic info: http://twinery.org/wiki/start

If you want my advice, download Twine 1.4.2 and just start typing. :-)

Note that cross-posting is against the Community Guidelines (see #3) posted at the top of every forum, but no biggie! :)

I just moved the topic to here: http://twinery.org/forum/index.php/topic,2567.0.html
This discussion has been closed.