Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Completely new to everything here--need help adding videos to first game

Hi!

I'm making my first game, and am completely new to everything related to it. I'm using Twine 2.0.3, Harlowe. I'm trying to set up a situation where you click on a word, and it opens directly to a video. Would I have to download the video? People have talked about adding images, etc to the folder/subfolder, but I can't find out where that would be. The only things I seem to be able to work with are archive, import from file, and formats...I am probably missing something, but would be stoked if someone could tell me where it is!
If there is no way to link directly to a video, I am wondering if there's a way to write it such that when you click the word, it redirects to a website where the video would be.

My other question is about adding audio. I have two boxes(?not sure what to all these? the things that you write words in that continue the story.) that link back and forth to eachother. theoretically, infinitely. I want to make it such that after a certain amount of time/back and forth clicks, an audio track kicks in.

Anyways, if anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated! Or, re-direct me to somewhere that explains it simply? I've checked on this message board and have seen some discussion of how to put images in with 2.0.3, but nothing concrete about videos--or maybe I missed it.

THANKS AGAIN!

Comments

• Welcome!

Nope, there's no need to download the video, and if it's one that isn't hosted somewhere online already, you would need to generate some different versions and get a player and a whole bunch of complicated stuff.

If it's already uploaded on YouTube, excellent. Do this:

You should just be able to paste an embed code directly into the next passage.  You can get it from any YouTube video by clicking "Share" and then "Embed" and copying the code below.

To make it autoplay, I looked up "youtube embed autoplay" in Google, which led me here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3405242/how-can-i-autoplay-a-video-using-the-new-embed-code-style-for-youtube

That seems likely to still work, but I haven't tried it myself. Give it a shot and report back! :)
  • theinternetworks wrote:

My other question is about adding audio. I have two boxes(?not sure what to all these? the things that you write words in that continue the story.) that link back and forth to eachother. theoretically, infinitely. I want to make it such that after a certain amount of time/back and forth clicks, an audio track kicks in.

Have each link clicked or passage visited update a variable and make the audio play once the variable increases to a certain point. You can do this easily by looking up how variables work in Harlowe and encompassing your audio play command in an (if:) statement.