Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

load save data on game with newer version

i'm new with Twine 2.0 and i'm using SugarCube, is there any problems if load save data on same game but have different version?

by different i mean if there's some bug in my game then i'll fix it and maybe make some alteration in my game

or make some sequel on it, by sequel i mean this game will be separate by episode but in one game not in other game. because my plan is making game which have series on it  ;).

is there any problem using this series method ? or i must make one complete game and make sequel in other game ? any advice would I accept with pleasure. thx before  :)

sorry for my bad english, not my mother language  :-[

Comments

• caberg wrote:

by different i mean if there's some bug in my game then i'll fix it and maybe make some alteration in my game

If your alterations break compatibility with the version that the saves were made on, then yes, obviously, there will issues.  If your alterations are not too extensive, however, you can patch saves as they're loaded via the config.saves.onLoad callback (you'll probably need to set some kind of $version variable, however, so you'll know what changes to make).  If you decide to do this, then you'll also probably want to disable history tracking via config.disableHistoryTracking, because patching the entire history would be a nightmare.

caberg wrote:

or make some sequel on it, by sequel i mean this game will be separate by episode but in one game not in other game. because my plan is making game which have series on it  ;).

is there any problem using this series method ? or i must make one complete game and make sequel in other game ? any advice would I accept with pleasure. thx before  :)

Yes, if you follow certain constraints, saves from one chapter/episode are capable of being loaded by successive chapters/episodes.
  • thx for the quick reply and ofcourse for the advice.

yeah i must not change the major functions and or macros, will add any alteration in new passages will be safe enough