Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Story formats seemingly cannot be imported in Twine 2

I have a format which is currently literally just a copy of Snowman with a few html tags added. I'm positive I didn't screw up any of the javascript.

However for some reason I can't import it. I tried both putting it in the storyformats directory and well outside of it and either way, the format registers in the menu, but if I refresh the page and go to formats again, or go to my story and try to choose it, it's gone, and twine displays a loading image endlessly. I've looked in firebug when this endless loading image is displaying and it's always accompanied by the cryptic message "version is not defined".

To confirm it wasn't a problem with the format, I copied Snowman exactly to a new directory, opened up the file and changed the name to Snowman2 just in case there'd be a collision. The same thing happened: themes register, they don't stay.

The same thing happened when I had 2.0.3 and I thought upgrading to 2.0.4 would fix it but when I got 2.0.4 and imported my stories (so it should have been fresh) it didn't. I tried archiving and clearing cookies but that did not fix the problem either.

What's up with story formats right now?

Comments

• edited May 2015
    If you open the Snowman format.js file with a Text Editor you will see that it defines the story format's name and version.

Did you change the name and/or version values within the file before trying to import it because those values are what defines the story format, not the name of the directory it is in.
  • If you're feeling adventurous, I just committed a change to the source tree that better reports errors when loading story formats.
  • ...Oh.

After a lot of fiddling to figure out how to get the repo and build it, the new version IS importing my story format.

It turns out it was not importing anything and doing the weird stalling thing because every time the formats window opens it tries to load SugarCube and fails. With the fix now it imports and persists story formats fine, it just complains that it couldn't load SugarCube every time the modal opens.