Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SugarCube offline

Hi,

first i would like to say good job.

I wonder if it's possible to use SugarCube offline ?

Comments

• I assume you mean within Twine 2, because published stories are always self-contained.

Going on the above assumption, yes, you can use SugarCube offline as long as you download the local/offline version and install it. Since you're asking about offline use, I'll also assume you're also using the local version of Twine 2.
    1. Download: sugarcube-1.0.21-for-twine-2-local.zip
    2. Unpack the archive and place the directory someplace safe. It's probably easiest to place it in the storyformats directory of your Twine 2 install (if you do not, then the URL in step 6 will be different).
    3. Launch Twine 2.
    4. Click on the Formats link in the Twine 2 sidebar.
    5. In the dialog that opens, click on the tab Add a New Format.
    6. Finally, paste the URL given below into the textbox and click the +Add button.
      storyformats/SugarCube-local/format.js

If everything went according to plan, you should now have two SugarCube entries to choose from, the default one titled "SugarCube" and the new local/offline one titled "SugarCube (local/offline)".
  • You are right, i use local version of twine 2.

Thank you for your fast answer. It works perfectly.

• Thanks for the instructions MadExile, but when I tried this it is giving me this error:

The story format at storyformats/SugarCube-local/format.js could not be added (Could not load story format source).

when I try pasting in the URL you posted. I tried using my local file address instead and that didn't work either. Not really sure what else to do. Any suggestions?
  • Operating system?

Did you place the directory you extracted from the archive into the storyformats directory of your local Twine 2 install, so that the structure looks like the following?
    (Twine 2 install directory)/storyformats/SugarCube-local/(SugarCube files)

• @Ori: Are you using the downloaded version of Twine 2 or the online version, because TheMadExile's instructions only work with the downloaded version.
  • Just a note on the offline version of Twine 2...

I use that version, and so I followed the instructions above and it worked okay, except that when I want to "change story format" it does not list the SugarCube(local/offiline) as an option, and only lists the Harlowe and Snowman formats, along with a "loading..." icon which goes around endlessly in circles.

The actual SugarCube format is present locally, because when I play my story offline (from the Twine 2 interface) it loads the sugarCube format, but it is just not present as an option within "change story format" if I am offline. It IS available when I am online (along with the online version of SugarCube).

I wonder why it behaves like that. any ideas?
  • At a guess, Twine 2 isn't timing out attempts to load remote story formats, so even though you have a local version installed it gets stuck trying to load the online version.
  • that's probably it. I removed the online version from "formats" part and now it loads the offline version properly. Thanks.