Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble With Basic Linking Syntax in Harlowe

Working on my first Twine 2 game. I'm using Harlowe, the default story format.

My sincere apologies if this has been covered before.

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to correctly use the basic in-line linking syntax. Take a look at the following three examples:

(if: $foo is "red")[[[redPassage]]]
To me, this seems correct, but the editor creates a passage with a bracket before the name. In the game, the link is broken.

(if: $foo is "red")[[redPassage]]]
This code is seemingly missing a bracket, but the editor creates a correctly-named passage. However, it's completely broken in the game.

(if: $foo is "red")[Go to the [[redPassage]]]
This is a workaround. However, it's not what I want to do.

So, is this a limitation of Harlowe's syntax, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited May 2015
    It seems like brackets are special snowflakes in Harlowe. You can use brackets in a passage description if you use a tilde to escape them. Like if you wanted to print "Hey these are brackets!! You'd do:

"Hey these are `brackets`!!

But I can't get nested brackets in a link to work. Like if I wanted to set up direction links ala:

[North] [East] [South] [West]

I can't do that even if I use tilde as an escape:

`[North]`->node002

doesn't work. It creates a passage named `[North]` instead of a link to node002.

I dunno. Maybe I am missing something basic. I kinda like links with brackets in adventure-type games. Guess I'll work around it.