Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noob Question

edited May 2015 in Help! with 2.0
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I have a question regarding Twine. Specifically, coding.
I want to make certain words appear after X amount of time.
I think there's certain term for this, but I heard it could be like a little blurb of code that would make this work and that I'd have to put it into certain passages before the words. Just wondering what exactly I need to do :/
Currently using: Sugarcane and Twine 2.0

Thanks!-Soarx

Comments

• edited May 2015
    It helps to know what version of Twine and which StoryFormat that you’re using. For instance, in Twine 2/Harlowe, you do it like this:
    (live: Ns)[Text here.]

"Ns" in this case is some number in seconds (e.g., 5s).
  • timsamoff wrote: »
    It helps to know what version of Twine and which StoryFormat that you’re using. For instance, in Twine 2/Harlowe, you do it like this:

[code](live: Ns)[Text here.]

I'm currently using Sugarcane. I'll see if I can change the format to Harlowe, since I'm not very far in my story. Thank you!
  • Do you mean SugarCube? Sugarcane is not a Twine 2 story format.

If you're using SugarCube, I doubt there's a need to switch story formats just for this one macro. I'm betting there's a way to do this in SugarCube, but I didn't see it on first glance.
  • timsamoff wrote: »
    (live: Ns)[Text here.]

Harlowe's (live:) macro currently does not automatically stop itself and will keep doing whatever you have asked it to do until you manually issue a (stop:) macro.

Two better ways to use it is as follows:

1. If you want something to happen only once.
    (live: Ns)[
    The thing you want the live macro to do
    (stop:)
    ]

2. If you want something to keep happening until some condition is met.
    (live: Ns)[
    The thing you want the live macro to do
    (if: $conditional)[(stop:)]
    ]

Where $conditional is set to true when you want the (live:) macro to stop.