Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Morningvale - My first attempt at Twine

edited May 2015 in Workshop
It took me a solid week to code and write the story for all of this. I mostly did it just because it was fun, but I put a lot of work into it and think it'd be silly if only a few of my friends played it before it never saw the light of day again.

It's a bit of a spooky game, you find yourself in this strange world and you aren't sure what happened here, but as you play through it, you piece together bits of the puzzle more and more until you finally realize what happened.

It's my first game, but I spared no expense in coding all of it. I'm already a web design student and figure this is something I can do for personal enjoyment that will also hone my craft, which I hope to pursue as a career.

The game itself will take about an hour to play, but that's a loose estimate based on how long it took myself and two of my friends to play it. There are four endings (none of which are "bad ends") and five achievements you can get.

Let me know what you think, and please, more than anything else, enjoy.

http://www.philome.la/ClassySir/morningvale

Comments

• I like how the game started — some good writing there — but, unless I’m missing something, I get to the end(s) fairly quickly.
  • timsamoff wrote: »
    I like how the game started — some good writing there — but, unless I’m missing something, I get to the end(s) fairly quickly.

If you're really straight forward with how you progress with the story, I see how that could happen. I say an hour because my friends liked to check every little nook and cranny I put into the game, and I did too just to ensure functionality. I think a bulk of the time might also just be reading, considering the few story-essential walls of text I erected at various points, so depending on how vested you are in reading, that could also affect time spent.

I did try to implement a sort of replayability factor with multiple endings and encourage exploration with saves and achievements.
  • edited May 2015
    A few notes...

Following
    Telling me how I feel. Safe but afraid?
    Why can't I see beyond the picket fence?
    How do you tear a bike chain?
    Barren for a tree means 'without/incapable or producing fruit'.
    Ah. I picked the key up did I. Nice if it had told me...
    How about letting me look through the window before I try and open the door?
    Stairs are plural, so 'To the right are the stairs...'
    Why would I close the front door behind me? I need it open to let more light in.
    What happened to my Blueberry muffin?
    The description of the TV in the lounge uses the past tense (It had bunny-rabbit ears)
    Mahogany is red rather than dark. Oak, walnut, ebony.
    Dark oak wallpaper?
    Can I look through the boxes in the storage room for a torch?
    Dictionary description repeats after a lookup
    I find check points better than a save/load approach.

Hmmm. No way to unpack the spolier...although if you quote it, it'll show you the text...
  • mykael wrote: »
    A few notes...

Hmmm. No way to unpack the spolier...although if you quote it, it'll show you the text...

Thank you for the thorough review and CC.
    Safe but afraid - There's no immediate danger, but you get that chilled feeling like when you're in a haunted house.
    Shadow is the absence of light. Pretty much - No light, no sight.
    You'd have to be very strong...
    The tree cannot bear fruit in this place so barren is accurate
    The windows are too grimy for light to penetrate. You cannot see through the window
    Close the front door - One less way for danger to find you
    No idea. Spoooooky.
    "it had bunny-ears" - I'll make a note of that, thank you
    "oak walnut ebony" - Also good to note.
    dark oak wallpaper - misworded, the walls are made of dark oak wood.
    dictionary - this was intentional
    checkpoints - this did not even occur to me during development, nor do i know how to code it, but you make a fair point, and there are some places i would rather the player not be able to save at.
  • For checkpoints, try adding the word 'bookmark' in the tag field. Works for sugar cane, not sure about other formats.