Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Converting the .html output file to ebook

As stated in the title, I want to change the .html output file, into an interactive story ebook to distribute via nook/kindle store. I have tried doing uploading the .html file as is, but when I preview it within the amazon/nook website, it just comes out as the code that I entered into twine 2.0. Is there anyway for me to do this, so I can make a profit from my work?

Comments

• It is significantly more involved than that. Significantly.

Especially if you are doing things like setting variables and using complex logic. If you are using only the branching narrative aspect of it, on the other hand, you at least have a chance. (Well.. to be fair, you have a chance the other way as well... but it is practically Herculean in nature to do.)

What it boils down to is this: imagine a print book. Something with physical pages you turn. Can your story be there? Sure... provided you give them every single page and every single branching option of your original design. Someone has even done tic-tac-toe as a print book, and the pages literally "play" the game against you. And this is in a print book with no special processing happening. The book, as you might imagine, is thick. It allows for every possible configuration of the game board.

imagine, now... a character with goals and equipment. It's a bigger book. Yes, your e-book won't be thick in the traditional sense, but you would still have to represent all of the possible configurations and story iterations.

Inkle has done it by writing a converter that will play your game and programmatically click on every single link you make, and then print and compile each page. I don't know that anyone here has built such a converter.

Hope that helps,
    Sage.
    PS, It is still possible... you could just do what Inkle does, even if you did it by hand. This is the way CYOA books have always been done.
  • Thank you, but I am not that proficient in coding knowledge and that is not something I would be able to do. Is there any way I could convert the .html file into a .exe or .app file for distribution as a computer application?
  • You can use a service like PhoneGap for example (they're on the web). They can make it work for iPhone and Android. This is MUCH easier because when you think about it, we are really all just creating web pages here. These are easy to distribute.

If you upload it to a password protected site, for example, you could have people pay you for access. I can show you how to do that.

There are other ways as well, once you realize that it is just an HTML file. You could wrap it and have it sent as an exe that way to your friends for example, and I think there is added functionality in Twine 2 as well for that.
  • How would I wrap the file?
  • The fastest way, and one that will not take any special knowledge on your part is to just put it into a .zip and password protect it.

Once they pay (if that is your goal), they get the password.
  • oh, I did not know you meant like that. What I did a few moments ago was drag and drop the .html file into textwrangler, and it gave me the entire source code. Once I have that am I able to do something with that?
  • You don't need to do it that way... unless you like text wrangler. Twine itself has a "publish to file" that you can access from the editor (lower left corner). Then you take the exported html file and zip that.
  • The first major problem you are going to face if you try to convert a Twine story HTML file into one of the many ebook format is that a Twine story relies on Javascript to work, and that not all of the different eBook Reader software support Javascript and that the eBook Readers that do don't necessary have the same level of support.

If all you really want is to be able to charge for access to your story HTML then you could do what many others do and either setup a web-site that requires your readers to create an account to be able to view your stories, or find an existing website that already has this feature and will allow you to host your stories. This will still allow people to access your stories on mobile devices as long as that device has a web-broswser with Javascript support.

If you really want to host your stories on a eBook store then you will need to handle people's complaints when it does not work on their eBook Reader.
  • edited June 2015
    If you want to distribute to Kindle, other tools like Inklewriter and I think ChoiceScript are much more suited to the task than Twine.
  • edited June 2015
    I believe also AXMA Storymaker will convert to epub, but you do have to pay for the professional edition (which is moderately priced, and the developers are Russian so there's a bit of a paypal conversion.)

Axma is like a "fenced yard" version of classic Twine. If you know original Twine it will be very familiar.

All EPub choice fiction ends up being very simple for the reasons stated above. I believe for AXMA you can't use any variables, it's basically the branches you write and link together are the branches you get, though I think they are hyperlinked.

Inkle is the same - you can't have a loop or a hub because their compiler will get caught infinitely.