Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Code changes on Twine close

Hey there, I'm trying to make a game project with Twine 2.0.7 with Sugarcube (Because I want the side menu and save options). I tried downloading and using Sugarcube 2, but it's acting weird. I have it listed twice in my story formats, because each time I tried to load the .js file, it would load infinitely--now there's two listed when I go back to my game to change the format there.

My real problem however is, ever since I updated from 2.0.5/6 to 2.0.7, every time I close Twine and open it back up, it changes < to < and > to > and things like that, making my code not work and show up in the passage instead. I've been looking several places and I can't find a fix to this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Every time I fix it, close Twine, then bring it back up, it's changed right back. Is it a bug in Sugarcube, or the actual update itself?

Also, I'm not sure if trying to use Sugarcube 2 or updating Twine were the cause of it, but it started happening after I did one of the two.

Comments

• Note: Even if tagging the opening post appropriately, you should always provide the name and version of story format you're requesting help with (e.g. SugarCube 2 beta.4). Additionally, even if using one of the Help! with … categories, you should also include the name, version, and type (if applicable) of the IDE/compiler you're using (e.g. Twine 2.0.7 executable version). Finally, if having issues with the IDE/compiler itself or with installing a story format, you should also include the name and version of your operating system.

For the reserved character (e.g. "<", ">") snafu, see HTML bug in Twine 2.0.7 (win32)?.

For the botched SugarCube 2 install. If you're using the executable version of Twine 2 (I'll assume you are), then while, Twine 2 is closed, go to wherever your OS stores transient application data and delete the contents of Twine 2's directory within.

For Windows, that should be:
    %LocalAppData%\Twine

Pasting that into Windows Explorer's location bar (or Start > Run (Window key + R) or the Start menu/screen programs and files search bar) should open the correct directory.

If not, then you can navigate to it manually in Windows Explorer. It should be someplace like the following (varies a bit by Windows version):
    {Windows Drive}:\Users\{Account Name}\AppData\Local\Twine

{Windows Drive} is usually C and {Account Name} should be self-explanatory.

For example, say your Windows {Account Name} is UtopiaAnopia, then the path would be something like:
    C:\Users\UtopiaAnopia\AppData\Local\Twine

Once there either delete the contents of the Twine directory (or simply the directory itself, which will obviously delete the contents too). Once done, all trace of the previous SugarCube 2 installs will be gone. Open Twine 2 and follow the SugarCube 2 install instructions to the letter.

Caution: If you do have to navigate to Twine 2's application data directory manually, do not confuse it with Twine 2's user data directory (also named Twine), which you'll find under your Documents (or Home) directory. The user data directory contains your story data, so deleting it would be bad.

Note on backing up your stories: The executable version of Twine 2 saves your stories to your Documents (or Home) directory, so you shouldn't need to back them up in an archive before performing the above procedure. If it makes you feel better, however, then by all means do so.

Note on upgrading: Until Twine 2's support for story formats improves, when upgrading your local SugarCube 2 install, either uninstall the old version before installing the new one or simply copy the contents of the new version over the old (while Twine 2 is closed).