Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot Indent Paragraphs? [Harlowe]

The documentation seems to indicate that white space won't be collapsed unless you put it in braces {}, but when I go to test my story the Indents that I made (using tab) to mark new paragraphs were not there. Am I missing something? Or does it always collapse whitespace?

Comments

• You're better off using the css text-indent property.
    p {
        text-indent: 50px;
    }

• I added that to the stylesheet but still saw no difference. Is there a reason the indents i make in the editor don't carry over?
  • edited August 2015
    By default in HTML things like spaces and tab indents are absorbed in most siturations. If you want to indent a particular piece of text within a passage I suggest wrapping that text in a p element (paragraph) and then using CSS to change the paragraph's indentation.

a. Passage contents:
    This text is not indented
    <p>This text is indented</p>

b. CSS to place in your story's Stylesheet:
    tw-passage p {
    	text-indent: 2em;
    }

• Bridger wrote: »
    I added that to the stylesheet but still saw no difference. Is there a reason the indents i make in the editor don't carry over?

Yeah Harlowe just has its own special HTML structure I am unfamiliar with, so the tw-passage as suggested by greyelf will work.

• edited August 2015
    Ugh, typing <p>paragraph of text</p> is way to big a pain in the ass while writing, especially writing dialogue where a paragraph might be a single sentence. There's no way to automate that?

I'm just surprised an application designed for story writing wouldn't handle indentations considering it's used in every single book I've ever read.
  • edited August 2015
    SugarCube might make some attempt to convert linebreaks to <p> tags, but am not sure. Otherwise you might be able to find a html writing tool that does that if you don't mind writing in one tool and transferring to another. I know Wordpress does it.

If you're trying to mimic book layouts though, it is necessary to use <p> tags however you get them. <p> tags let you set line heights and such. You won't find any book formatted with carriage returns, as it gives far too much white space to the page.