Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 2.0 vs older model

Hello everyone, first time poster and have a question. Having this horror game I am working on, and I am very new to Twine as I made the action most done and chose to start with Twine 2.0. This is mostly an idea I wish to build upon as time goes on and I learn the ropes more, so for now it's mostly just text based. That being said I would eventually like to add different images to each page and maybe some music, would it be wise to stick to Twine 2.0 or should I go back to an older version to do this? Thanks.

Comments

• You can display images and play sounds in each of the three default Twine 2 story formats, although you may have problems seeing/hearing these assets if you don't use the Publish to File option to test your story and you are using locally referenced image/sound files. It is easier using image/sound files in some story formats than it is in others.

Twine 2 is not actually a later version of Twine 1, it is instead the Twine application re-written using different software/technology that allows the application to be run in a web-browser and on mobile devices like tablets.

For a number of reasons some Story writers find using Twine 1 easier.
  • edited August 2015
    I like Twine 1 over Twine 2 because:

* Has better text editing tools like full screen passage editor and a find and replace function
    * Allows direct editing of the html header for advanced structural edits I use for background image layers and inclusion of Javascript libraries
    * Has no security walls against displaying images on a non-published story

For me these are essential. I really wish Twine 1 was still in development.

Regarding your story, SugarCube is the only story format with significant support for music playback. SugarCube works the same in both Twine 1 and Twine 2.