Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Despite Twine 2's web interface, I can't create my first passage with a Screen Reader.

Hi everyone,
I never knew about Twine 2's release until I read an interview in the newly created SubQ maag. The web interface and easy scripting syntax of Harlow sounded appealing. Plus, even if the GUI is accessible offline, it's still saving it to the browser so it seems pointless to do it offline, unless the Twinery site goes down for whatever reason.
Unfortunately, after reading the introduction text of the Twine editor, that's where the accessibility ends. The story list and all those buttons are accessible--the buttons at the top. Archiving, changing formats, etc.
If I had stories available, I could also sort them accessiblely. From the empty story list I don't know how to proceed.
Is there a button my screen reader isn't seeing or is it just an image that my screen reader won't see at all, which is what appears to be happening here?
I imagine if I can't create my story I'm betting the map is inaccessible too...

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Accessibility and Accessible are two different things in software.

So when the Twine 2 documentation states that the web-based version (on-line and offline) is accessible it means that it can be can be used on a number of different machine types (desktop, laptop, tablet, and maybe phone) as long as it supports a modern web-browser.
    Unfortunately as you have found out the web-based Twine 2 application does not currently support Accessibility, so you will have issues running it on a screen reader.

NOTE: The Twine 2 application combined with the SugarCube 2 story format can be used to create a story/game that partially supports Accessibility.

P.S. If there is a Text Editor that supports Accessibility (maybe CKEditor) then you could possible use it to edit a text file using Twee Notation, and then convert that file into a Twine story HTML file using the Twee command line utility that comes with Twine 1.