Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't install Sugarcube 2 to Twine 2, HELP!!

edited October 2015 in Help! with 2.0
I really need help!!

I tried installing Sugarcube 2 into local Twine 2, but when I put the file url in the import formats box and click add, it will say loading and then load forever. I even left it overnight, and when I got up, it was still loading so I closed out of it. Now when I go into story formats Sugarcube 2 is there, but there's a bunch of red text boxes that say. "The story format “SugarCube 2 (local/offline)” could not be loaded (Could not load story format source)." And when I try to run a story in Sugarcube 2, it shows a blank page and says, "An error occurred while publishing your story. (Could not load story format source)." I've been looking around the forums but still have no idea what to do. I'm on Windows 10 (idk if this could be a problem). Any ideas??

Comments

• I'm having this exact same problem and I'd love if someone were able to help! Thanks in advance for your time guys :).
  • edited October 2015
    First, did you follow the install instructions in the guide?

As to the infinite install issue: IIRC, there's a bug in the current release of Twine 2 which causes the infinite install issue for any user installed story formats. It actually does install the story format, but never returns for some reason. Just give it 10–20 seconds and then close the Formats window. Reopening the Formats should show that SugarCube 2 is actually installed.

As to the could not load story format source error: The only thing I can think of off-hand is to ask, did you actually extract the ZIP archive? Some operating systems allow you to view the contents of archives without extracting them. In particular, in Windows the filesystem explorer, Windows Explorer, has this feature. Viewing the contents of the archive is not the same as extracting it.

PS: If you need to retry the install, be sure to remove all previous installs from the Formats window.
  • I thought I followed the instructions;; I noticed the guide has their Sugarcube-2 folder in Twine's StoryFormat folder but I don't know how to get it in there. Is that necessary?

I notice that the infinite loading did leave Sugarcube 2 actually installed, but it's still impossible to use because of the second error. I deleted the first Sugarcube 2 I installed, re-extracted it with Winrar, added it, and it still didn't work.

Is there anyway to upload it onto the online version of Twine? Maybe I'll have better luck...
  • edited October 2015
    I am also running Windows 10 and this is how I setup Twine 2.0.8 to use Sugarcube 2.

1. I installed Twine 2 on to my C: drive into a folder named Twine2.0.8
    eg. C:\Twine2.0.8

2. I then created a sub-folder named formats within my Twine2.0.8 folder.
    eg. C:\Twine2.0.8\formats

3. I extracted the contents of the ZIP file into my formats sub-folder.
    eg. C:\Twine2.0.8\formats\SugarCube-2

4. I opened Twine 2 and added the SugarCube 2 story format using the following URL:
    file:///C:/Twine2.0.8/formats/SugarCube-2/format.js

5. I waited 10 seconds, then closed down and restarted the Twine 2 application.
  • I did exactly as you said and it's still giving me the same errors. The Sugarcube 2 format is clearly there and installed it's just not working for whatever reason;; Thanks so much for the help though, I guess I'll stick with Sugarcube 1 for now... (As a sidenote, is there a version of L's replace macro set that works with Sugarcube 1?)
  • Many questions can be self answered by simply reading the SugarCube 1 documentation, in this case the second download link within the Add-ons section. *smile*
  • I noticed the guide has their Sugarcube-2 folder in Twine's StoryFormat folder but I don't know how to get it in there. Is that necessary?
    You'd extract it there. And no, it is not necessary (it's what I do, but it is not necessary). As noted, the paths therein are examples.

Anyway. If it's still not working, then it's possible, likely even, that you've managed to get Twine 2 into a bad state internally (all too easy to do, unfortunately). The only recourse in that case would be to remove all of Twine 2's settings, thus allowing it to reset itself to factory defaults.

If you wanted to give that a try, I've given these instructions for the app version of Twine 2 (i.e. NW.js-based, not browser-based) out before:
    For the botched SugarCube 2 install. If you're using the executable version of Twine 2 (I'll assume you are), then while, Twine 2 is closed, go to wherever your OS stores transient application data and delete the contents of Twine 2's directory within.

For Windows, that should be:
    %LocalAppData%\Twine

Pasting that into Windows Explorer's location bar (or Start > Run (Window key + R) or the Start menu/screen programs and files search bar) should open the correct directory.

If not, then you can navigate to it manually in Windows Explorer. It should be someplace like the following (varies a bit by Windows version):
    {Windows Drive}:\Users\{Account Name}\AppData\Local\Twine

{Windows Drive} is usually C and {Account Name} should be self-explanatory.

Once there either delete the contents of the Twine directory (or simply the directory itself, which will obviously delete the contents too). Once done, all trace of the previous SugarCube 2 installs will be gone. Open Twine 2 and follow the SugarCube 2 install instructions to the letter.

Caution: If you do have to navigate to Twine 2's application data directory manually, do not confuse it with Twine 2's user data directory (also named Twine), which you'll find under your Documents (or Home) directory. The user data directory contains your story data, so deleting it would be bad.

Note on backing up your stories: The executable version of Twine 2 saves your stories to your Documents (or Home) directory, so you shouldn't need to back them up in an archive before performing the above procedure. If it makes you feel better, however, then by all means do so.

Note on upgrading: Until Twine 2's support for story formats improves, when upgrading your local SugarCube 2 install, either uninstall the old version before installing the new one or simply copy the contents of the new version over the old (while Twine 2 is closed).