Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Change default save location

Hello,

I have a small SSD on which I have only my OS (C:). Everything else gets saved on a larger HDD (E:). When I create a Twine story, it automatically saves on my C: drive -- I don't want that. How do make it save on (E:) automatically? My registry is set to direct my libraries to E: already, and this is the first program I've installed that goes back to saving on C:

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• bumping this, as I haven't yet found a solution to this issue
  • edited November 2015
    Twine 2 is unfortunately hard-wired to save your story projects in a particular location depending on which operating system you are running, the function that does the save is here and the code that determines the value of nwui.filePath starts around here.

In version 2.0.8 of Twine on Windows you could influence where the application saved the story project files by creating a HOME environment variable, this no longer works with version 2.0.10 of Twine.

Not being able to control where story project files are saved is a major limitation of Twine 2.
  • Again I forgot to add a possible solution to a comment. *sigh*.

One possible external solution in WIndows 7,8,8.1 & 10 is to use the mklink command to create a Symbolic link to replace the Stories folder with a reference to the folder you wish to use instead.

notes:
    a. the following is assuming you are using Twine 2.0.10, previous versions of Twine may of stored the story project file in a different location.
    b. the xxxx part of the following file path represents your windows user name.

1. Determine the current path to you Stories, it should be something like the following:
    C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Twine\Stories

2. Open an Administrator Command Prompt, on Windows 10 this is done via right mouse button clicking on the blue window in the lower left of your desktop and selecting the Command Prompt (Admin) option.

3. Navigate to the Documents\Twine folder via the following command:
    cd C:\xxxx\David\Documents\Twine

4. Rename the existing Stories folder using the following command, do this so you don't lose the existing story project files in that folder:
    rename Stories Stories.OLD

5. Create the Symbolic link to the folder you want as the replacement Stories folder using a command link the following, obviously you need to replace the last parameter with the actual folder name on your E: drive:
    mklink /d Stories E:\Stories

When you next open Twine 2.0.10 it should find whatever story file projects are in the folder on your E: drive.
  • Thanks a bunch! Hopefully in the future Twine will allow us to save where we want.
  • To any on OS X, this also appears to work. In my case, I wanted my Twine stories stored in my Dropbox, but you can substitute another location. So:

1. I closed Twine.

2. I renamed the folder
    ~/Documents/Twine

to
    ~/Documents/Twine.OLD

3. Then I moved Twine.OLD to Dropbox and renamed it to Twine. The ultimate location of my saved stories was:
    ~/Dropbox/Twine

4. Finally, open up Terminal (or your terminal emulator of choice), and add the symlink:
    ln -s ~/Dropbox/Twine ~/Documents/Twine

5. Run Twine and see if it worked! Seems to have for me.