Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Harlow have a 'silently' equivalent

edited November 2015 in Help! with 2.0
My story starts with a list of assignments, e.g.
(set: $HaveScissors to false)
(Set: $GiftString to true)
But each assignmet thows a new line. How can I suppress this?

Comments

• You should be initializing your variables inside a startup tagged passage, it works similar to Twine 1's StoryInit special passage so it is executed before the story starts and does not output its contents.

Harlowe does not have a 'silently' equivalent but it does have a 'nobr' equivalent which works by wrapping the content you want line-breaks removed from with open and closed curly braces { }.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    You should be initializing your variables inside a startup tagged passage, it works similar to Twine 1's StoryInit special passage so it is executed before the story starts and does not output its contents.

That isn't true. The output of any startup tagged passages is displayed at the top of the first passage, before any header passages.
    So even if Jimowens used a startup passage they'd still need to use braces to suppress any line breaks.

• That isn't true. The output of any startup tagged passages is displayed at the top of the first passage, before any header passages.
    I stand corrected.

A simple way to fix the problem of startup being visible is to add the following CSS to your story:
    tw-include[type="startup"] {
    	display: none;
    }

• You can also enclose text in braces (e.g. { and }) and newlines will be collapsed inside it.
  • Thanks guys