Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLEASE HELP: Cannot upload HTML format

I am doing a project in twine that is due in two days and after completing it tonight I realize that I cannot upload to Philomela, Neocities or Adventure Cow. I have exported the files as HTML to save to my computer, and when I click them from "my library" it is not able to play them on chrome, just brings up a blank page. Then when I try to upload to sites like Philomela, it says that the file I am trying to post is HTML, but it is not a twine file.

Has anyone experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated--this project is very important for me to have in on time so I'm kind of freaking out :O

Comments

• You use the Publish to File option to create a Story HTML file, this is the HTML file that you should be uploading to a site like Philomela, Neocities or Adventure Cow.

The Archive HTML file created using the Archive option is a backup of your Story Project(s). If you have the downloadable release of Twine 2 installed on your machine the HTML files within the folder access via the Twine > Show Library menu option are your Story Projects, they are not Story HTML files.

It can be a little confusing with all the different types of HTML files that Twine 2 has:
    a. Story HTML file.
    b. Archive HTML file contain a backup of your Story Projects
    c. Story Project HTML file.
  • Hi greyelf, thank you for responding! The "Publish to File" is the one that is unable to upload to Philomela, etc. When I open it in a web browser the page is just blank. Any ideas of what could be going on?
  • Are you willing to upload a copy of your story HTML file somewhere for me or someone else to debug?
  • Absolutely! If you're able to take a look at that, you have no idea how much I would appreciate it.
  • The HTML file you uploaded was an Story Project Archive file, not a Story HTML file.

After downloading your HTML file, I imported it into my local copy of Twine 2.0.10 using the Import From File option. I then opened your Story Project and used the Publish to File option to create a Story HTML file (which I saved into an empty folder), this Story HTML file ran successfully in both Chrome and Firefox.

One warning when using the Publish to File option with the downloadable releases of Twine 2, do not save the Story HTML files you create into the same folder accessed via the File > Show Library menu item or you will possibly destroy your Story Project.
  • Thank you so much for offering to take a look at this! I'm not sure what it was your explanation that helped, but I followed it step by step and this time was able to upload it. In case anyone encounters the same issue, I think it may have been saving the HTML file to a folder OTHER than the Twine folder was what helped (maybe this is what you meant when you were talking about archiving?). Anyway, thank you so much, my presentation will be a success thanks to you!