Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harlow OR other Story Format?

I am new to twine. I like the Harlow Syntax.
But i am concerned if it has all the functions I need for my story.
->I want to have save games. Do i HAVE TO use sugarcube?
->I want an inventory of items my player can collect. Also i want to be able to let him drop items and display all remaining items.
-> I want to insert sound

What is possible in Harlow? Can you provide code samples?

Also, I heared there is or will be a mobile version for Twine, to create storys for other peoples mobile phones. Is it out yet, is it recommandable, are there changes to Harlow or is it the same synthax?

thx.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    A little reading of the Twine 2 Guide, the Harlowe manual or searching on this forum would answer most of your secondary questions.

1. save games: Harlowe has a (save-game: ) macro, what it does not have is SugarCube's built-in ability to save those saves to file.

2. inventory/container system: No Story Format has a built-in inventory/container system, so you are going to have to build one or find/use one that someone else has built. Some story format's are easier to extend (add custom features) than others.

3. insert sound: The Add an Image, Movie, Sound Effect, or Music section of the guild contains an example that works with all story formats, although SugarCube also includes macros which can help make it easier.

4. mobile version: You mention two things in that question:

4a. Twine: The web-browser based release of the Twine 2 application can be used on some mobile devices to edit a story project, how easy that is depends on the mobile operating system and device used.

4b. The created Story: I have not heard of a mobile specific Story Format so if you have seen information about one you may want to link to it.

I believe that each of existing story formats should run on a mobile device (including a phone) although you may/will need to be careful with how you construct/layout your story due to the limited screen sizes.

I know some people have tried using third-party software to convert a story HTML file into a iOS/Android (hybrid/native) application, I am not sure how successful they have been. An iOS application has the added complexity/cost of getting it accepted to the Apple App Store.
  • Thx for your detailed answer. It covers most of my questions.

Regarding the Link to a mobile version. I did heared something about it in a youtube tutorial. However since i watched many of them, i do not know the specifific link.

I´ve heared a youtube video about arrays where its mentationd that Harlow arrays do not have the nessecary funtions for an inventory so i do not know how to build one.

I will look thought the answers here if someone has an inventory function or, if none, ask that question seperate. If someone wants to answer here, its welcome too.

mainly my questions are answered here. thx.
  • Found a solution for the inventory in the documentar: http://twinery.org/wiki/twine2:add_an_inventory_system
    if anyone else has the same question.