Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harlowe won't load on fresh install?

Hi! I just downloaded 2.0.10 for Mac and installed, and when I navigate to the formats menu, Snowman and Sugarcube load as per usual, but I get an error message reading, The story format “Harlowe” could not be loaded (). Any clues?

Comments

• Hey folks, Harlowe on 2.0 is still effectively borked for me and neither Leon or Chris have any ideas what's happening, so I'm sharing more context unless anybody has any idea what's going on - I'd be hugely grateful for any ideas!

So, I was running a modified version of Harlowe through the Mac OS desktop version of Twine (pre-2.0). I had altered/added some CSS in the story-format file, but nothing more. I had this working fine for a little while, but at one point tried to duplicate my version of Harlowe in order to distinguish it from the vanilla version. This didn't go well - Harlowe wouldn't even load in the Story Format menu (telling me: The story format “Harlowe” could not be loaded ().), and when I tried to play/bug-test, it just errored on me (An error occurred while publishing your story. ())

I deleted 2.0 and redownloaded the most recent version, but the errors are still there. How is this possible? Surely this is a clean install of Harlowe? I tried clearing my Chrome cache to see if this made any difference, but nothing. As it stands, I can't publish or play any story with Harlowe in the desktop app. I can use it fine in the browser version, but I'm anxious to use that for anything large-scale as I've been the victim of huge data loss before and don't want to get burned again.

As I said, anything anybody could suggest would be hugely appreciated. Thanks all!
  • One thought - are story-format files for the Mac desktop app stored anywhere else? Library > Preferences? What would it take to wipe everything associated with Twine from my machine and start over?
  • I don't use a Mac so I can't answer your question about story format related files in other locations.

But one thing I do know from my experience with having multiple copies of the same base story format installed within a single instance of Twine 2 is that the name: property within each of the format.js files needs to be unique otherwise all story formats with the same name will not load. (or at least didn't in the past)
  • I'm having the same problem, and I was worried because I couldn't publish it to file, so what I did was switch it to Sugarcube just to publish it, so when I get Harlowe working again, I'll just switch it back to that.
  • jezburrows wrote: »
    Hey folks, Harlowe on 2.0 is still effectively borked for me and neither Leon or Chris have any ideas what's happening, so I'm sharing more context unless anybody has any idea what's going on - I'd be hugely grateful for any ideas!

So, I was running a modified version of Harlowe through the Mac OS desktop version of Twine (pre-2.0). I had altered/added some CSS in the story-format file, but nothing more. I had this working fine for a little while, but at one point tried to duplicate my version of Harlowe in order to distinguish it from the vanilla version. This didn't go well - Harlowe wouldn't even load in the Story Format menu (telling me: The story format “Harlowe” could not be loaded ().), and when I tried to play/bug-test, it just errored on me (An error occurred while publishing your story. ())

I deleted 2.0 and redownloaded the most recent version, but the errors are still there. How is this possible? Surely this is a clean install of Harlowe? I tried clearing my Chrome cache to see if this made any difference, but nothing. As it stands, I can't publish or play any story with Harlowe in the desktop app. I can use it fine in the browser version, but I'm anxious to use that for anything large-scale as I've been the victim of huge data loss before and don't want to get burned again.

As I said, anything anybody could suggest would be hugely appreciated. Thanks all!

How did you get the modified version of Harlowe?