Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make an Undum-style scrolling (branching) narrative?

Hi,

I'm just getting started with Harlowe and Twine 2.0. It seems like a terrific tool.

I'm trying to build an experience in which portions of the unfolding text are appended, but where all branching links and *some* frames/passages, including questions text ("would you like to..." etc) are smoothly overwritten. So basically just a subset, the "committed" narrative portions, are retained, so that the revealed text reads like a normal story.

Currently I'm doing this by using a header passage, in which I check (history:) for the presence of the main narrative chunks, in the right order, and (display:) those. But on moving to a new frame the scroll point is reset to the top -- reasonable for most situations -- and the appending and overwriting isn't as smooth and cool as with Undum.

Note also that loops are possible, so there are cases in which I'll want to go back to an earlier section, erasing "committed" passages in between (I'm not sure yet how I'll arrange that with the (history:) method).

Any help very much appreciated!

Comments

• Currently the only story format that natively supports the Endless-Page layout is Jonah, which comes with the Twine 1 application.

Trying to make the Single Passage layout story formats work like Jonah will take a lot of effort (if it is even fully possible) for a number of reasons but the main one is that you will need to remove/disable all the assignment macros from any passage (and those that they reference using display macros) you add to the area you are displaying the previous navigated passage in or those assignments will be executed again.
  • Thanks. Figures. So instead I'll use a sidebar solution as described here: https://twinery.org/forum/discussion/2938/sidebar-menu-in-harlowe