Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine Games

Ahoy,

I'm still knuckle deep into making my own game with twine 2 and sugarcube 2.5.0+, and I'm seeing so much potential for what can be made game-wise with these tools. Every day it seems I'm figuring out how to do something more complex and interesting, and breaking my own limits on what I thought I could achieve.

But when I search on-line for twine games to play, most of what I find is more fiction or art orientated rather than game orientated, which I understand because twine at it's heart is about interactive fiction, but it can be so much more.

So I'm wondering, what games have you played that are made from twine which you have enjoyed that are more ... gamey....?

Mat

Comments

• I wrote an maze navigation game called Nuclear Fire at Castle Treachery. It's a fairly simple game used to demonstrate Twine to a class of teenagers. It has an inventory.

There is also a Twine adventure/RPG game (on Steam) called This Book is a Dungeon.

However, I agree with you. For as much discussion there is about making an RPG battle system, or tracking an inventory, I can't think of any other completed Twine RPGs.
  • There are a couple of potential reasons for this:

The first is that there are other story/game engines more suited to creating RPG's and due to the amount of work involved many Twine-based RPG's don't get finished.

The second reason is that some of the more complete RPG's contain "Adult Content" (some catering to particular fetishes) and because of this they are found on websites targeting those types of story/games.
  • edited June 2016
    I may as well plug my game again. It is extremely gamey, a narrative strategy game, about 3 weeks away from a playable demo:

I think one of the biggest reasons is cost, tbh. What they don't tell you in the "anyone can make a game" pep talks that built the Twine community is that making games costs a heck of a lot of money, and even more time. If you want to make a "gamey" game, then be prepared for a great deal of required investment.

If you don't want to spend money or hundreds-thousands of hours, then I think we've already seen the limits of what Twine is capable of. Pushing the boundaries now takes effort and investment.

As to why use Twine for my game over Unity, well Twine is a great text engine and I like CSS animation. HTML handles text stuff way better than Unity. And I can get all the sound and art I need working with Twine, so why not.

If I needed to do anything more complex graphics-wise I'd probably integrate Twine into the WebGL engine as a first preference. That way I could still easily use the GSAP text animation.