Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Markup at the beginning of a passage doesn't work because of header passage

I've noticed some weird behavior in Twine 2.0.11 using the Harlowe format. If I begin a passage with any kind of markup, such as a first-level heading:
#This is the passage title
and if I create a header passage, even a very basic one that simply sets a variable:
(set: $test to true)
then the first passage doesn't display properly. Instead of the first line showing up in a larger font (as a heading should), it displays like any other line of text and the hash mark appears at the beginning instead of being interpreted as markup.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to avoid it? Is it a bug, plain and simple?

Comments

• edited June 2016
    I believe this problem has been noticed before although I could not find either the topic on this forum or an issue about it on the Harlowe project website. You should create a new issue on the project's website so that the developer is made aware of this problem.

One way to "avoid" the problem is to add a line-break between the header tagged passsage's contents and the first-level header text, you can use Collapsing whitespace markup to make the extra line-break dis-appear when the passage is shown to the Reader.
    {
    }

... note that the open and close curly braces are at the start of their own lines, this is need for the hack to work.
  • edited June 2016
    I have found that Markdown does not work as indicated when I use a Header passage. I make my titles with html tags and have no more problems.
    <h2>Title of my passage</h2>

I think that could be a little bug of our beloved Twine 2...
  • Pierre wrote: »
    I think that could be a little bug of our beloved Twine 2...
    This has nothing to do with the Twine 2 application, it is the Story Format (in this case Harlowe) that controls what features you can use. I did suggest that you let the developer of Harlowe know of this problem.

Pierre wrote: »
    I have found that Markdown does not work as indicated
    Harlowe does not support the Markdown markup language, the Header section of the Harlowe manual only states that Harlowe's syntax is similar to that of Markdown:
    Heading markup is used to create large headings, such as in structured prose or title splash passages. It is almost the same as the Markdown heading syntax:

• The "extra line break" trick doesn't seem to work for me. I'll settle for using <h1> tags instead of the Harlowe markup, and I may file a bug report as greyelf suggested. Thank you both.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    One way to "avoid" the problem is to add a line-break between the header tagged passsage's contents and the first-level header text, you can use Collapsing whitespace markup to make the extra line-break dis-appear when the passage is shown to the Reader.
    {
    }

... note that the open and close curly braces are at the start of their own lines, this is need for the hack to work.

Thanks for the trick, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
    I make my titles with html tags and have no more problems.
    <h2>Title of my passage</h2>

I think I'll settle for that, and I may file a bug report as greyelf suggested. Thank you both.
    {
    }

I make my titles with html tags and have no more problems

I think I'll go with that, and I may file a bug report as greyelf suggested. Thank you both.
    {
    }

I make my titles with html tags and have no more problems

I think I'll go with that, and I may file a bug report as greyelf suggested. Thank you both.