Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I make a gender option that works @ How do I allow the user to input a name in

I'm new to this... twine thing. I have little to no experience with anything.
The format i'm using is snowman.

1) Gender option

Male

Female

When you click on one of them it works, for example every time you input something in it, it's either a he or a she.

2) For example a user wants his/her name to be billy, how do you allow the user to type it in and how do you allow it to display through the rest of the game.

Eg: [Type Name Here] <--- gives an option to type name

Eg: Hi [Whatever Name]

I would appreciate any help you can give me on the topic, thank you.

Comments

• Snowman is designed for people that already know how to program using HTML, CSS, and Javascript. If you are not familiar with programming then I would strongly suggest that you use one of the other two (Harlowe and SugarCube) Story Formats.

The SugarCube story format has both a <<radiobutton>> macro and a <<textbox>> macro which you could use to implement each of your requests.
  • edited June 2016
    Okay thanks a lot for answering. I'm trying out each of the formats right now to see which one I prefer. I'll take your advice into consideration.

EDIT: Also won't let me download sugarcube 2 so I'm limited in options.
  • LordSheep wrote: »
    EDIT: Also won't let me download sugarcube 2 so I'm limited in options.
    You went to the SugarCube 2 website, scrolled down to the Downloads section and clicked on the SugarCube v2.6.2 for Twine 2 (local/offline) [ZIP archive] link?

Because I just did that and the ZIP file downloaded for me.
  • Downloaded it and followed instructions when I come to add format and add correct link it said it could not be added.
  • Are you using the downloadable web-browser based release of the Twine 2 application or the install-able release?

Which operating system are you using it on?
  • Using the online twine 2.

Windows 10.
  • Unfortunately the hosted/on-line release of the Twine 2 application does not currently support adding a locally stored Story Format format.js file via the file:/// protocol.

Your choices are:

1. Download the locally install-able release of the Twine 2 application, this release supports adding locally stored format.js files via the file:/// protocol.

2. Download the web-browser based release of the application available from the Download section of the Twinejs project, they are the ZIP files that do not include an operating system in their file names. This release also supports adding locally stored format.js files via the file:/// protocol.

3. If you really need to use the hosted release of Twine 2 and you want to use the SugarCube 2 story format then you will need to host the relevant format.js file on a web-server, the web-server can be on your own machine or on the internet. You can now use the http:// protocol to install the format.js file.
  • Okay, I'm using Harlowe right now and I've got the name and gender thing sorted by doing a quick google search, thanks though.