Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to work with large numbers of randomly generated NPCs

edited July 2016 in Help! with 2.0
Hi guys, apologies if anything I ask below seems obtuse. I've tried searching various forums without any real success, but I'm not a coder so I'm struggling either way.

I'm using Twine 2.x and SugarCube 2.x (latest versions as of a few days ago)

I want to create a game that will handle lots of NPCs (10+) and track their stats independently. Specifically, I'm generating named, but expendable mercenary NPCs who I'd like to be able to create, equip, upgrade (in a limited fashion) and then send off to fight and/or die.

At present I have a test passage generating these NPCs (eventually this will have to be done more organically, obviously). I'm generating each individual NPC as an object:
<<set $currentmerc to {"mercID": 1, "mercName": "Waaaagh", "mercCP": 100}>>

Then once generated, the NPC is slotted into an array with all his/her little NPC buddies:
<<set $mercs.push($activemerc)>>

At the moment, if I want to inspect, equip or otherwise modify my NPC then I'm copying the data from $mercs to $currentmerc and then manipulating it there (since this can be done in a dedicated passage)
<<set $currentmerc to $mercs[_whichevermerc]>>

The things I would appreciate some help with:
  • Any suggestions for how to build a screen which lists all of the (currently living) mercs and creates a clickable link over their name to take me to a customisation screen? At present I'm using a for loop to pull from the $mercs array, but it breaks whenever I use $mercs.length (see appendix 1 below)
  • Any general suggestions about how to better manage this data?
  • Lots of mercs are going to be dying, or get fired. How do I go about removing them cleanly from the array? Do I figure out what their array index is and then delete it?
  • Finally, somewhere down the track I'd like to implement the ability for the mercs to spar each other for EXP, any pointers on how I can implement this?

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Appendix 1:
<<for _i to 0; _i lt $mercs.length; _i++>>
     [[$merc[_i].mercName|InspectMerc][$currentmerc to $merc[_i]] is standing at attention.
<</for>>