Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proofing copy -> Word processor

Hello,

I have created a story with 100 passages and now I want someone else to do the proofreading. From experience, the way this is done is to give them a word processor document (.doc, .rtf, .odt), which they can edit, possibly using track changes.

I thought I could do this in twine by using copy-paste on the contents of the 'proofing copy' window, but it doesn't quite work.

First, I could not copy the headings. I applied the solution mentioned here, so that is solved (this is not a good solution, however, for I must apply it every time I produce a proofing copy).

However, the second problem I cannot solve. In the proofing copy window the passages appear formatted as they should, e.g. as in the attached image "browser.png". In the word processor (word, open office) the white space is collapsed, as shown in the attached image "wordprocessor.png".

How can I produce a proofing copy with the correct paragraphs, usable in a word processor?

I have tried standalone twine 2.0.11 on linux, twine online, in firefox and in chrome. Story format is harlowe. Word processor is microsoft word, libre office writer or google docs.

Thanks!

Comments

• For proofreading I don't think you need the paragraphs. The person doing the proofreading just needs to be able to see what is in it so they can spot stuff like grammar errors or spelling mistakes & stuff. If not, do I not understand the question?
  • Thank you for your answer.

Normally proofreading includes style in addition to spelling & grammar - imagine proofreading a book in which paragraphs have collapsed.

Since I'm new to twine I was wondering if I am doing something wrong because even this 'proofing copy' functionality doesn't work as I think it should. I have to do this and then do some creative copy-paste-find-replace to eventually be able to produce a proper doc file - and that I must do every time the passages change.

How can someone other than the creator of the story propose comments, additions, corrections, deletions? I'm used to word processors (comments, track changes etc.) so I thought the proofing copy was to be used for that, but apparently it's not :)
  • Sorry. I don't ever use the proofing copy, so I can't help. I do see your point, however. Sorry.
  • edited August 2016
    One of the major differences between the Twine 1.x application and the Twine 2.x application is that Twine 1 creates it's Proofing Copy file using the Rich Text Format, which is supported in most Word Processor software where-as Twine 2 displays a styled version of the Story Project's internal meta-data HTML elements.

It is due to Twine 2's output being styled HTML elements that you need to use extra effort when converting it to something else.

Normally I would suggest using the Twine 1 application to generate your proofing copy but that option is not available to people using the Harlowe story format.
  • A bit late but there is a way to get a proof reading copy into a readable file with grammar check and stuff.

In chrome:

1. Open your proofing copy.

2. Right click > print.

3. Change destination to "Save to Google Drive"

4. Find the file in your google drive then right click your proof reading copy and select "open with" then "google docs".

• ConerNSFW wrote: »
    3. Change destination to "Save to Google Drive"
    For anyone that can't find this option, you must have a google account and be signed-in.

• Using the information from the above posts I have found a way to create a usable proofing document as follows:

1. You must be able to print to a PDF file in your computer (there are free tools to do that)

2. If using the offline version of twine do "publish to file"

3. Import the file from step 2 to the online version of twine

4. Do 'view proofing copy'

5. Open your system's print dialog in the new proofing page (e.g. ctrl-P)

6. Make the selection to print to a PDF file

7. Select 'landscape' and paper size A0

8. Print to file

9. Open google drive and upload the newly created PDF

10. Right click on it and select 'open with google docs'

If all went well you will see a usable, editable version of your story.

The reason you select landscape and A0 in step 7 is to reduce text wrapping as much as possible. It's not 100% but for reasonably sized passages it should be enough.

Thanks all for the ideas and clarifications!