Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine Roguelike Engine: 100 Levels

A few weeks ago, I had the idea to make a roguelike (or as close as I could) in Twine. My project kinda halted after, well, the first few hours, as I started to get bogged down in back-end code that was too messy and single-purposed. So, I decided to convert the ideas that worked and convert them into a setting-neutral 'engine', or some kind of API for Twine. Thus, 100 Levels was born.

This provides a complete package allowing for the creation of randomly chosen (I hesitate to say generated) adventures. The player is presented with randomly generated directions to move in, and those directions lead to random 'Challenge' passages. The amount of actual randomization is up to you - the challenge passages might be simple, pre-written paragraphs, or they might be sub-adventures and random in themselves that are completely different each time the game is played. After a certain number of challenges have been completed (each challenge completion links back to the navigation-choosing passage), the level is completed and the next one begins. The idea of course, being that after a certain number of levels things start to change. Random selection of level 'types' are supported, and this could easily be changed so that the level type depends on the current level number the player is on (1-10 = Sewers, 11-25 = Dungeon, 26-40 = Crypt, etc.) allowing for the game to be themed.

This has incredibly specific uses, and I highly doubt any games will actually get made using this (although I am still working on my sci-fi Twine roguelike! just... slowly...), but I didn't want the few hours I put into this to just sit in the back of my computer. The .rar includes a readme explaining what everything does, a .twee file for importing into Twine and a .tws file which is pre-setup with 20 Challenge passages so you can just get writing straight away, and the license file. Feel free to hack away at this and take ideas for your own projects.

Comments

• Awesome!

I've been working on a Roguelike for a couple months now, but haven't gotten very far into the dungeon generation part. I've been doing more with combat so far.

I'll have to take a look at your approach!
  • I would be interested in this, if only to allow random distribution of story points.

-Crissa