Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Twine the right tool for me and other questions?

Brief Explanation: I wrote a novella years ago that I want to turn into a very basic, very classic CYOA interactive novel. "To admit you have no idea what you are doing, turn to page 32" sort of thing. I have searched high and low for the most user friendly program to assist me and being very visually oriented the sticky note layout is sort of appealing. But I have many questions and some misgivings about using Twine. If someone could answer some for me I would be grateful.
1. I am not writing a game exactly so much as a novel with paths, I feel. Is Twine a good tool for accomplishing this?
2. Do my entries have to be short, like a few paragraphs, or can there be full chapters?
3. How easy is it to use for someone with absolutely no coding or technical knowledge? I can learn quick but am still none too bright.
4. I intend to work on this from work mostly but am not always at the same computer and occasionally should like to work from home. Id this possible with the whole "save in browser" thang?
5. On that same token, the history is erased chronically by my nefarious coworkers, so what is the simplest way to save my work externally or to a USB or to Onedrive or somewhere??? Where to save?!
6. If Twine seems to be not right for me do you have any suggestions where else I could find what I am looking for? The other one I saw that I didn't dislike seems to save and display your work on its own site but I want a copy I can share.

Thanks

Comments

• edited November 2016
    1. TWINE - at it's basic level... IS a Novel with branching. Only difference is - you don't really 'have' choices that say "To admit you're not sure...go to page ..." type of pages, just hyperlinks that take you to different 'Passages'. I believe this program is a good one to do a CYOA-type of novel. Others have extended the capability of TWINE to become a RPG, and other variants of games.
    2. As far as the Entry "length" - I believe it's up to you. It's also a debatable question because some people prefer 'short' chunks to read at one time, and others like long pages. If you feel like the emotional impact is better doing short passages and choices, then go for it. Same goes for longer passages.
    3. I learned how to use TWINE's basic coding in a week. Formatting, and writing content is all you need, at the very absolute basics.
    4. It is possible - but if you work online, you will be restricted to that computer, if I have been reading the posts correctly. For the Desktop version - you can always save the file as a .html file, and transfer it to different computers - but there may be a portable version as well - I dunno.

Hopefully others can answer the rest of them better.