Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Game Plus in Harlowe / History Erasure

edited November 2016 in Help! with 2.0
Hi all,

I'm currently using the (history:) macro to track if players have interacted with NPCs in the story I'm writing. It's a lot more convenient than setting flags for every event. However, I'm aware that I want to do a new game plus once the game is over, and restore the players to the start with a fresh slate, sans a few variables. Basically, I want to remember the endings they've seen and tick them off on a list, so they can see which ones they've already achieved. Also, I might potentially want to carry over their money.

If I just loop them back to the beginning, though, I'm pretty sure all the (history:) and ticked macros will be the same... which means it's going to cause all sorts of chaos on a second playthrough. Is there a way to erase mostly everything without losing a few key variables? Right now it seems to be either 1) Keep everything or 2) Lose everything.

I can see resetting every variable tracked on a new game and just not using (history:) as an option, but resetting that many variables is going to be a serious headache.

Would really love some help on this. Using Harlowe & Twine 2.0

Comments

• I'm no expert at this, but you can try creating an Initialize passage and putting it at the start of your game, maybe inside an if macro that checks if there was a game previously?
    This might be helpful to you. You can restart the story but only put the values you want to reset in the Initialize passage. The rest should carry over. Not 100% sure though.