Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uploading my twine story on a website?

I've made a twine story with SugarCube 2 2.10.0
I would like to get it online.

I have a website that I use tumblr as a host, which I understand limits things.

Is there a way to get this twine story on my website?
I'm not good with this kind of stuff at all.
I could link to another site where the twine story is.
Whatever kind of janky setup I need to get, I'll do it, I just need to have the story accessible to people through the interwebs.

Another wrinkle is that the story uses/refrences music files.
I need those to work.

I've found that I can upload to philome.la, but this method doesn't permit the music files to exist.

Would wordpress work for this?

Please and thank you, all.

Comments

• No, as it turns out WordPress.com doesn't let you upload arbitrary files either. To upload a Twine game along with multimedia files, try either itch.io or textadventures.co.uk.
  • edited December 2016
    felixp7 is correct, but there is a solution which is just as good as being able to host it on wordpress (or any other blog website for that matter).

Zip your game up and host it on itch.io. (your game file must be named index.html)
    Create a post on your wordpress blog describing the game, etc.
    Back at itch.io, go to the edit on your game then the 'Distribute' tab on your game, then 'Embed' and copy the 'Ludum dare' link and paste this link into your wordpress blo post.

You can have the link say 'Play' if you edit your blog post, and when pressed it will launch your game in the full browser mode.

This is how I'm 'hosting' my two Twine games. Shamless plug: Aftermath
  • mcdmcd
    edited December 2016
    I recommend using textadventures.co.uk rather than itch.io; itch.io will wrap your story in a frame, and I've had trouble reading stories in those frames on mobile. Textadventures just serves your story. As far as I can tell you can just link to the story from elsewhere, too: here's a direct link to a test story someone put up there: media.textadventures.co.uk/games/JZ0jgy4uL0qJtZdEExQ8Kg/Variable%20Test.html, and the official link. (I have not actually tried hosting anything at either place because I have a website already.)
  • edited December 2016
    mcd wrote: »
    itch.io will wrap your story in a frame, and I've had trouble reading stories in those frames on mobile.
    That's only true if you link to your game on the itch.io website.

If you use the method I describe, the game launches in fullscreen browser mode. The only clues that the game is hosted on itch.io are a tiny 'full screen' icon across the bottom of the game (this hides the whole browser so your game takes up the entirety of your monitor screen - and I think this can be disabled anyway) and the fact that itch.io is in the address bar.

You can see an example of my method if you follow the link in my last post.
  • Jud_Casper wrote: »
    itch.io will wrap your story in a frame, and I've had trouble reading stories in those frames on mobile.
    That's only true if you link to your game on the itch.io website.

If you use the method I describe, the game launches in fullscreen browser mode. The only clues that the game is hosted on itch.io are a tiny 'full screen' icon across the bottom of the game (this hides the whole browser so your game takes up the entirety of your monitor screen - and I think this can be disabled anyway) and the fact that itch.io is in the address bar.

You can see an example of my method if you follow the link in my last post.

The full screen icon means that your story is still in a frame, and that frame is still---well, in your case it's helping because the actual story file isn't responsive on mobile, but in the case I was thinking of, the frame was causing problems reading the story on mobile, like cutting off text and links, and making it difficult to scroll.
  • If you're talking specifically about mobile then maybe so, but did you try running my game from my wordpress blog or on itch.io?

I've launched my game on my iPhone 4s and it played fine (I agree the layout was messed up and it would be a pain to play on mobile) but this isn't a problem with itch.io. If your game is launched in full browser mode (which it is if you use my method) then it shouldn't matter where it's launched from. Full screen is full screen.
  • And frames are frames. I don't find the full screen mode particularly useful, so I wouldn't risk hosting my story in an iframe situation that can mess it up (regardless of whether or not it is currently messing your particular story up) just to get a full screen button. YMMV.
  • edited December 2016
    [...] so I wouldn't risk hosting my story in an iframe situation that can mess it up (regardless of whether or not it is currently messing your particular story up) just to get a full screen button. YMMV.
    The fullscreen button had no bearing on my decision to use itch.io. The fullscreen button to which you refer hides the whole browser, but when I say the game launches in full browser mode, this isn't what I'm talking about.

I wanted somewhere where I had control over the design (my wordpress blog) and could list my games with a 'play' link which when pressed launches the game in full browser mode, and itch.io allows me to do this, unlike textadventures.co.uk etc. This is precisely why my listings on IFDB link to my wordpress blog and not itch.io.

And we're talking about different things anyway. You're talking about problems arising from playing the game on mobile phones, whereas I don't concern myself with that. Maybe wrongly, I have no interest in accommodating mobile devices for my games. I'm not looking to make money from these games, so if they don't work on mobiles I'm more than happy to live with that fact.
  • Jud_Casper wrote: »
    [...] so I wouldn't risk hosting my story in an iframe situation that can mess it up (regardless of whether or not it is currently messing your particular story up) just to get a full screen button. YMMV.
    The fullscreen button had no bearing on my decision to use itch.io. The fullscreen button to which you refer hides the whole browser, but when I say the game launches in full browser mode, this isn't what I'm talking about.

There is no such thing as "full browser mode", so it's not clear what you're talking about. The iframe is still there, whether or not you see it.

Why can't you link directly to textadventures the way you did to itch?
  • edited December 2016
    Because that wouldn't launch my game. It would take me to my game on the textadventures website, and I think the design and look of textadventures is unattractive.

By full browser mode I mean it simply launches your game in the browser, directly from the 'Play' link.

• If you use the direct link to your game, it should launch your game. I was wondering if you had problems using the direct link.
  • :blush: I never thought about that.