Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy Land Prototype

Play the Online Browser Version

Download the Installer for Windows (You might need a Google account.)

On Reddit, for those who prefer it.

Hey guys, I’m looking for some feedback. Specifics can be found here, but the long and short of it is:

1. I need feedback on the systems, pacing, appearance, and feel; I welcome feedback on the story/writing/sound/music/art, but that isn’t my main focus right now.

2. I need testing on non-Windows browsers and on older Windows machines. If you could click through a few passages on a handful of different machines, if you have them, and report back, that’d be awesome.

There’s a google form linked at the end of the game for you to fill out to provide general feedback. I welcome all other comments, too, and you can just post those below, or PM me, or DM me on Discord if you're feeling froggy (same username as on here). If you have friends that don't hate these kinds of games and tend to give good feedback (in other words, if you have excellent taste in people), feel free to point them over here, too.

About Bugs

If (when) you encounter bugs (when in doubt, assume it’s a bug) please report them from the “report bug” link in the settings menu. You’ll be taken to a google form and given a string of characters to drop in there. Please use this form and provide the code; it allows me to partially recreate your experience to neutralize the problem (my code is spread out over more than 420 passages--I need all the help I can get finding those uncooperative bits).

Thanks!

Comments

• I'm bumping this, and I feel awful about that. I swear I'll let the post die naturally after this.

Here's some screenshots to (hopefully) tempt you to play:
  • I didn't play very far into the game itself, but I can show you some screenshots of formatting issues in my browser -- Firefox, Windows, 1366 x 768.

There is very little padding between the text and the images, which is a pet peeve of mine. It might not bother other people, but I hate seeing words crunched up against images haha. Another pet peeve of mine is greatly unnecessary space dangling at the bottom of the screen. Maybe you have the passage set to a minimum height (that's too tall for this passage) or you have code running beneath the passage that needs to be run silently.

Likewise, there's far too much space between the read-more links and their read-more box. I like this mechanic - it's quite nostalgic - but I am getting whiplash from jerking my head up and down the screen on every read. I'm also not convinced that the box needs to be greyed out until you touch it... Clearly I want to read that information, right? That's why I clicked on the link. So why is it greyed out, as if the reading were optional? Maybe this would make more sense if the box were close to the text, but as it is, it seems tedious to swing my mouse down and up every time.

And on the character screen, I found this hovering info bar to be more awkward than helpful. I know I'm on the information page... I don't really want the bar blocking out some of the text, imo.

Sorry for all the nitpicks haha. I'll be honest and say I didn't try out the play/combat mechanics themselves, but hopefully this will help you fix up the visual design first. Maybe I'll give it another play later. Kudos to you for developing a very integrated and gamelike system though! I like the concept of it.
  • Thanks a lot. I'm not worried about nitpicking; this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.