Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie question!

I am trying to get my university students using TWINE for their creative writing projects. Several of them created projects - but when they shared the link to their project (which they need to do in order to be marked for it) - it didn't work. Can anyone give me step by step instructions for sharing a project that I can pass along to my students?

Comments

• If they saw a URL at all, then I presume your students are using a web-based version of Twine 2, not Twine 1 as you categorized this thread.

Working under that assumption. The URL you see while developing the project is for its internal use only, they cannot share it as it's meaningless outside of the application.

What they need to do is to Publish their project to a compiled HTML file. From the story map, open the story menu (bottom, left side), and select Publish to File. Depending on the browser and how it's setup, they should either receive a save dialog asking them where to save the file or the file will automatically be downloaded to the browser's default download location.

That compiled HTML file may be run and shared.
  • You have two basic options:

1. A student could send the Examiner a copy of their story project TWS file (as well as any externally stored media files it requires). The Examiner then opens it using the Twine 1 application and uses the Build > Test Play menu items to view the story.

One upside to this method is that the Examiner has easy access to the code used to create the story.

2. A student uses the Build > Build Story menu items to create a Story HTML file for there story project. They would then need to do one of the following:

2a. Send a copy of the Story HTML file as well as any externally stored media files it requires to the Examiner. If there are multiple files to send then it is generally a good idea to use an archiving utility (like ZIP) to bundle all these files into a single archive file and send that instead.

2b. Upload the Story HTML file (as well as any externally stored media files it requires) to a web-server, then send a link to hosted copy so that the Examiner can access it.