Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searchable database

Very odd question here, perhaps. I use twine mostly to create random generators for things but I recently thought of a way I might use it more constructively. In my job (Radiation Therapist) we have to occasionally do hand calculations that involve the use of very large tables of data; basically just rows and rows of numbers that we insert into equations as certain variables. I was wondering if there was a way to use twine to create some sort of easy interface where I could enter in some info and it would pull up the associated info.

For instance, I enter 4 cm depth, 12 cm field and it pulls the number I tagged as being the answer for 4 cm depth, 12 cm field.

I know I could do it using a complex series of passages (eg, Choose depth from a list, which leads to another list of possibilities to choose from. A flow chart sort of deal.) I'm just wondering if there's a better way

Comments

• If there will be a large amount of number crunching then you may want to look at interfacing with R (project link), I have used the product but have never tried to interface it with other environments like HTML. I know it has a web-server (which I have not used) and that there are other project (like htmlwidgets) related to building web-interfaces for it.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    If there will be a large amount of number crunching then you may want to look at interfacing with R (project link), I have used the product but have never tried to interface it with other environments like HTML. I know it has a web-server (which I have not used) and that there are other project (like htmlwidgets) related to building web-interfaces for it.

It's not actually number crunching. There's no math the program has to do. I just want to enter in two values and have it search up the correct corresponding value.
  • How are you storing the existing data? (SQL database, excel spreadsheet, text file, etc...)
  • greyelf wrote: »
    How are you storing the existing data? (SQL database, excel spreadsheet, text file, etc...)

Right now it exists only in a book. I'll need to transcribe it so I can put it in any form thats useful.