Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to get images for stories?

I know that I don't post on here often, but if you've read my other posts, you know that I'm trying to write interactive fiction games using Twiner to sell, either to publishers I've found, or on itch.ios

One of the things I've noticed is that a lot of other writers stories have pictures, music, and/or sound.

Where can one legally obtain stock images to use for stories. Or, do you have to make your own art/ find an artist interested in making the artwork/images for you?

Comments

• If you're looking to make a commercial project, you're probably going to need to pay an artist. Most free artwork or images on the internet are only free for noncommercial purposes, and that remains true even for a lot of fairly permissive licenses.
  • Chapel's right for the most part, artwork-wise, you will usually need to pay an artist. (I'm available for ~$5 and up, haha)

There are a few places where you can get free-for-use images. Here's some different places. This is a mix of real life stock images and I think a few game-oriented icons. My favorite for images is pixabay.
  • I would concur with pixabay their licence does cover some commercial usage.
  • I'm a bit curious about the definition of commercial use. Is it commercial use if you don't ask for money for the project the art is in, but you have a patreon, and people can freely donate to that (or not)?
  • DairynGM wrote: »
    I'm a bit curious about the definition of commercial use. Is it commercial use if you don't ask for money for the project the art is in, but you have a patreon, and people can freely donate to that (or not)?

It's a slippery slope, but you'll most likely be okay. Since all people accept money, that's not really necessarily commercial. But since the main drive to give you that money is a product, that isn't exactly noncommercial either.

Realistically, no one will waist the time and money to sue you for donations, but be prepared to be extremely accommodating, since you really don't have a legal leg to stand on. I.e., be prepared to pull the offending content and have a back up plan.

You could also get in touch, or make a provable effort to do so, with the artist and just ask. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, but it's generally better to not have to pull a game.

Note that I am not a lawyer. I've licensed some of my own work and such, but don't put too much stock in my opinions.
  • edited April 2017
    Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission...

You sound like my boss! (I work in digital marketing)

I agree, it's a greyish slippery slope kind of thing. I use people's art in a lot of non-commercial stuff I do, like free campaign guides and stuff, and try to attribute the creator. The idea is if they contact me and are upset about it, I'd pull it ASAP. Currently, I have no patron account and no game up, but I was thinking more in the future, if I do make one.

Ideally I think, every game maker wants an artist to work with rather than searching for different pieces of art. It makes the style more uniform in the end and the game is better for it. But that has it's own pitfalls as well.
  • edited April 2017
    The definition of what 'commercial use' means can change between legal regions across the world, assuming a particular region has related laws. This means there is no clear cut answer.

Chapel wrote: »
    You could also get in touch, or make a provable effort to do so, with the artist and just ask. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, but it's generally better to not have to pull a game.
    I would also recommend contacting the rights owner, as they can have their own definition of what non-commercial means to them.

eg. what PyTom wrote about the commercial usage of the Ren'Py Interactive Director
    The Ren'Py Interactive Director is free for non-commercial use, where commercial use includes things like kickstarters and patreon-funded games.

NOTE: This same topic was discuses on the lemmasoft forums, you may want to read what people there thought about the topic.
  • edited April 2017
    Interesting topic. From reading the lemmasoft forum thread, I noticed some people drew distinction about how the patreon account is set up.

In my mind, I'd set up a patreon account not as a means to fund projects E.g. 'I need $1k a month for an artist', or '$100 will keep me making x game!', rather 'Show your appreciation like a tip jar for the general work I do, but it's going to get made for free anyway.'

IMO, there's a big difference between the two. One is using the patreon as fuel for the production, which means it's sort-of commercial, and the donor usually gets a direct benefit E.g. Exclusive early access. The latter the game still gets made for free no matter what you do, so the game isn't commercially backed either on a single person tranasctional level, or on a crowd-funding level.

I know a lot of writers and artists wouldn't go for the approach, and that's because of their different aims. For me, I don't have any aspirations of making it financially viable, or abandoning my day job. A patreon account would be more of an optional show of appreciation.

... And all of this is terribly presumptuous of me, since I should produce results before seriously talking about this stuff.