Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 2.0.9 released

Downloads on the home page; changelog on the wiki.

This fixes many bugs, but it also adds new versions of all builtin story formats, and adds five(!) new localizations: Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Dutch, French, and Russian. Cheers!

Comments

• Hi,

I am at work behind a pretty restrictive firewall, so take this with a grain of salt, but... I am having problems editing passages with the online version of Twine 2.0.9

This happens both with Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Whenever move the cursor in a passage to either type or copy text, nothing happens (the cursor doesn't change to the typing "|" and if I click, sometimes a series of ++++ appear, and that's it).

It's kind of difficult to show in a screenshot, but I am unable to capture any footage at the moment.

Twine.png

I did not type those xxxxxx at the top of the passage.
  • Looks like a problem with how the web version was packaged; will look into it as soon as I can, but it may be a day or two before I figure out what went wrong.
  • Just trying to add information to help with the solution. The editor box (white box) does not seem to limit the amount of text. When I type it goes off the right of the box and then the right of the screen. It also disappears below the editor box and you can't scroll down. Similar to Melyanna's screen shot, there are instructions about coding (I think) that appear if you try to erase the text that is in the editor when you start a new passage. I don't remember that happening before. Good luck with the troubleshooting and thanks. This is a great platform. I look forward to it being up and running smoothly again.
  • Hi, I'm on the OSX version of Twine 2.0.9

I'm having an issue with clickable variables giving me a 0 value.

E.g. passage one I set a few options for $age, and in passage two I display $age. When I go to test passage two (individually), I get 0. This also causes blank space when I reference variables in if/else statements.
  • I'm having an issue with clickable variables giving me a 0 value.
    You need to state which story format you are using, as answers can be different for each one. I am going to assume you are using Harlowe.

note: Harlowe defaults all uninitialized variables to zero.

When you use Twine 2's Test story starting here option to test a passage or change the starting point of your story to a passage you want to test and use one of the Test / Play options, then any variables contained within that passage will default to being uninitialized unless they are first assigned a value within that passage.

How you get around this issue depends on which story format you are using and is not a bug in Twine 2. If you create a new question about your problem I am sure someone will supply a solution.
  • Hi, I am using Twine in my class, and today we were supposed to be in a computer lab working on our Twines. Am having the same issue as Melyanna in that the current update has made the web version basically uneditable. Would love a fix for this, as it is causing a real problem for our class!
  • Hooray, it should be fixed now! The problem I found was very simple to fix.
  • klembot wrote: »
    Hooray, it should be fixed now! The problem I found was very simple to fix.

Works like a charm. :)
    Thank you!
    (And I am glad it was an easy fix)
  • edited November 2015
    Edited....

Hi,
    If-else macro failed.
    <...>

Edit: sorry, found the bug report in another thread.
  • I wish I could give the same response as Melyanna, but as of 7 am this morning, nothing has changed. I am using the on line version. I don't know if that matters, but I didn't mention it in my previous post. I am also trying to use it in class. It worked terrific last year and I am hoping my students this year will have the same experience. I am happy to give more information if it will help troubleshooting the problem. To recap - the editor doesn't work. Text goes off the screen, the mouse/cursor won't go back into the text to make changes, the initial screen has numerous messages that appear and disappear after you start typing again. If the fix you mentioned requires a restart of some sort please let me know. Thanks for your help.
  • jdummer wrote: »
    If the fix you mentioned requires a restart of some sort please let me know.
    Sometimes a web-browser will use a cached copy of a web-page instead of the latest version from a web-site, and the on-line version of Twine 2 is a web-page. To force the web-browser to update it's cached copy you sometimes need to do a hard-refresh, and this article explains how to do that for three major brands of web-browser.

• greyelf wrote: »
    jdummer wrote: »
    If the fix you mentioned requires a restart of some sort please let me know.
    Sometimes a web-browser will use a cached copy of a web-page instead of the latest version from a web-site, and the on-line version of Twine 2 is a web-page. To force the web-browser to update it's cached copy you sometimes need to do a hard-refresh, and this article explains how to do that for three major brands of web-browser.

Is it worth suggesting to use the "archive" function before following the steps at the link?
    Note: the fix is working for me on both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

• Melyanna and greyelf, thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I did anything different, but it works fine now. Either something got fixed or the tech gods sent electron fairies to solve my problem. In any event, class begins in 20 min and I'm good to go. Klembot, if this was your doing, many thanks.
  • Hi there, I´m having trouble with the (else:) statement since the last update. I changed nothing from the code of my story and suddenly it stopped working.

My code looks like this (text is in spanish, but it´s not important, lol):

(if: $callGuardia > 2)[Hasta que al fin escuché una voz que dijo: "Ey! Ya es suficiente" </br></br>Bueno, acércate! ](else:)[Gritar con fuerzas: ¡Guardias! ¿Alguien? </br></br> .... ]
  • Noki wrote: »
    I´m having trouble with the (else:) statement since the last update.
    As explained in this thread, that appears to be Harlowe 1.2 bug.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    Noki wrote: »
    I´m having trouble with the (else:) statement since the last update.
    As explained in this thread, that appears to be Harlowe 1.2 bug.

Thank you very much. I´ll wait till it´s fixed then. I can use a workaround right now (multiple "if"). again, thank you!