Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding Sugarcube 2 format to Twine online?

edited November 2016 in Help! with 2.0
Is this not possible? I tried doing exactly as I'd done to install SC2 on my desktop version, but kept getting the message 'The story format could not be added'.

The reason I want to do this is because I use Firefox's Firebug add-on to inspect all the various elements when making CSS changes. Without that ability I'm pretty much lost.

I've looked at the style sheet info for SC2 on Wiki, but it doesn't include all the elements.

Comments

• What URL did you use? You may need to switch it to https.
  • Oh, I used file:/// as I did for the desktop. I'll try https.

Thanks.
  • Nope, that didn't work, nor did http.

What about if I upload the file to a host first?
  • Problem solved. If I publish my game, and then launch it from my desktop, it opens in a browser with the SC 2.11.0 styling, so I can then use firebug to get all the element names for my CSS changes.
  • Hey I ran into this problem as well. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll take the format.js locally. I ended up uploading the Sugarcube 2 file to dropbox and created a public link to the format.js file.

That should allow you to access Sugarcube 2 with the online version of twine.
  • Jud_Casper wrote: »
    ... so I can then use firebug to get all the element names for my CSS changes.
    They are also documented in the CSS section and HTML section of the website.
  • edited November 2016
    Hey I ran into this problem as well. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll take the format.js locally. I ended up uploading the Sugarcube 2 file to dropbox and created a public link to the format.js file.

That should allow you to access Sugarcube 2 with the online version of twine.
    Yes, that would have been my next step if I hadn't figured the workaround.
    greyelf wrote: »
    They are also documented in the CSS section and HTML section of the website.
    Yes, as I say in my OP I looked at this, but there are dozens and dozens of selector names and IDs it doesn't cover in the documentation.

• Jud_Casper wrote: »
    but there are dozens and dozens of selector names and IDs it doesn't cover in the documentation.
    If there are SugarCube related selector names and IDs missing in the documentation then you should tell it's developer (TheMadExile) about them so the documentation can be updated.
  • It's not that they're missing, it's that the developer obviously doesn't consider they are areas the user will want to change. For instance removing the icons from the Saves and Restart links or removing the hover effect from them, or changing the big arrows on the new dynamic sidebar that slides in and out in Sugarcube 2.11.0

These are all things, I imagine, he doesn't imagine people will want to change, so doesn't include them in the docs.
  • A couple of small corrections:
    Jud_Casper wrote: »
    ...the Saves and Restart links...
    Listed in HTML docs as "menu-item-saves" and "menu-item-restart" respectively, the 'icon' related CSS (#menu-item-saves a:before) is in the ui-bar.css documentation.
    Jud_Casper wrote: »
    .. hover effect ... big arrows...
    The menu item's selector can be determined from the HTML docs (#menu li a) and the UI's toggle button is listed as "ui-bar-toggle", the menu item's hover effect (#menu li a:hover) and the UI's toggle button 'icon' (#ui-bar-toggle:before) are also in the ui-bar.css documentation.

TheMadExile is very good with his documentation.
  • edited November 2016
    I never doubted that, greyelf, and apologies to TheMadExile if he thought I was suggesting as such.

That said, though, I find it so much easier to learn the various selectors by using Firebug. You simply activate Firebug, click on the element icon and then hover over the various items. Their selector name then pops up for you and you know what you need to be targeting in your game's CSS.

I know it's probably not the best way to learn the workings of Style Sheets, but it's how I do it.