Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Silence of the Night - Illustrated sci-fi action/rpg/puzzle game, also ROBOTS

Hi, y'all
So, I had a college assignment on game design to write a Twine game. I came in about 3 months ago with no knowledge on Twine or web development, lurked a lot on the help forum for advice on macros and such, and made this game using Sugarcube 2.

It features a crafting system, inventory, turn-based battles, timed decisions, some simple graphic puzzles and about 30 or so different illustrations.
It gets more complex as it goes because I was learning while writing it. I tried to design it like a Metal Gear game in the sense that the game is all about boss encounters and every boss has a different mechanic/minigame. It's weirdly linear(multiple ways to accomplish something or die) with a lot of possible shortcuts, 4 possible endings(2 hidden), and choices that can give you additional lore/kill characters.

The story is a simple Sci-fi suspense about a dystopian future where robots have already defeated humanity and exiled them into a place called the Dark Forest. You play as a bodiless human being who is very confused about who he is and gets an offer to assume control of a robot(as a means of having a new body).

Well, I finished it and there is no one to play it :( so it would be nice to get someone elses thoughts on it even if it's bad; I'm not touchy. Please play it.
The coding is pretty lazy(wouldn't recommend reusing any of it) but if you like something and wanna know how it works feel free to ask.
(there is a known bug where in a loot screen, if you get in and out of the inventory multiple times you'll keep getting loot. please don't exploit it >:( )

LINK: philome.la/vrusciante/the-silence-of-the-night

metalg0_by_office_space-dar86dy.jpg

Comments

• A large portion of your game text is hidden by the sidebar.
  • Great job, I love the illustrations. :)
    (I have no problem with the sidebar since it can be hidden, but perhaps you could move the text to the center a little bit so it's always visible).
  • Jud_Casper wrote: »
    A large portion of your game text is hidden by the sidebar.
    Melyanna wrote: »
    Great job, I love the illustrations. :)
    (I have no problem with the sidebar since it can be hidden, but perhaps you could move the text to the center a little bit so it's always visible).

Oh no ''=_=
    There was a default margin on the story element but I took it out because I could see a large gap while debugging, it's a resolution problem I guess. I reuploaded it with the default sugarcube margin.
    Thanks Melyanna I'm glad you liked the drawings.
    Thank you both for playing :)
  • _vrus wrote: »
    There was a default margin on the story element but I took it out because I could see a large gap while debugging, it's a resolution problem I guess. […]
    It's not a "gap" per se. The main passage display area is centered to the available viewport width, minus the UI bar width, regardless of resolution.
  • The illustrations are nice, but the lined text kind of makes it feel like it's doodled on a schoolkid's workbook, and the plot doesn't have enough hook at the start to really keep me engaged.

It seems to be using a lack of exposition to catch the user's interest, but it just ended up making me not want to put the work in. I know some people really dig that kind of stuff, though. I know people love "With Those We Love Alive", and this seems to have a similar bent at the start, in that very little exposition is going on.

What can I say? I'm a basic sort of guy who likes a clear beginning, middle and end. YMMV. :)

Technically, though, it seems fine on my machine.
  • _vrus wrote: »
    There was a default margin on the story element but I took it out because I could see a large gap while debugging, it's a resolution problem I guess. […]
    It's not a "gap" per se. The main passage display area is centered to the available viewport width, minus the UI bar width, regardless of resolution.

oh, ok. thanks for the info
    DairynGM wrote: »
    The illustrations are nice, but the lined text kind of makes it feel like it's doodled on a schoolkid's workbook, and the plot doesn't have enough hook at the start to really keep me engaged.

It seems to be using a lack of exposition to catch the user's interest, but it just ended up making me not want to put the work in. I know some people really dig that kind of stuff, though. I know people love "With Those We Love Alive", and this seems to have a similar bent at the start, in that very little exposition is going on.

What can I say? I'm a basic sort of guy who likes a clear beginning, middle and end. YMMV. :)

Technically, though, it seems fine on my machine.

woah, you really didn't like it :)
    It is only story-heavy at the beginning though. After the first boss it's all about boss fights with some optional lore in between. In retrospect, making it like that was a mistake, even though the last boss fight is really cool nobody's playing it bc everybody seems to be giving up at the beginning.
    Well, living and learning :) thanks for playing it!

• edited December 2016
    _vrus wrote: »
    woah, you really didn't like it :)

It is only story-heavy at the beginning though. After the first boss it's all about boss fights with some optional lore in between. In retrospect, making it like that was a mistake, even though the last boss fight is really cool nobody's playing it bc everybody seems to be giving up at the beginning.
    Well, living and learning :) thanks for playing it!

Sorry if I came across as harsh! ^_^;; Over the years, I've taken the approach that no feedback is worse than bad feedback (and I've received plenty of harsh feedback). The only thing that differentiates people who make it to those that don't, IMO, is the ability to take criticism and improve from what they hear.

If it's any consolation, I really did like the art, the code did seem very neat, and grammatically it seemed fine. Also, gamers are the pickiest, most loyal, biggest bunch of spoiled babies ever in terms of audiences. :)
  • DairynGM wrote: »
    Sorry if I came across as harsh! ^_^;; Over the years, I've taken the approach that no feedback is worse than bad feedback (and I've received plenty of harsh feedback). The only thing that differentiates people who make it to those that don't, IMO, is the ability to take criticism and improve from what they hear.

If it's any consolation, I really did like the art, the code did seem very neat, and grammatically it seemed fine. Also, gamers are the pickiest, most loyal, biggest bunch of spoiled babies ever in terms of audiences. :)

Oh, don't worry, you didn't. I'm a student, this is my first game. I'm enjoying all the feedback :)
    Actually, thanks a lot for the "grammatically it seemed fine", I am really paranoid about that since english is not my first language lol