Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 2 feels like a beta

Hello everyone,

it is the first time, I use twine. Yesterday I started to write a story for my daugther. The first hour I loved it, but for now I spend way more time searching the internet for help then writing the story.

- adding a simple image
drag/drop do not work. ok, I found a solution here in the forum. but using html tags look like a workaround.

- passage title list
As a first time user I named my passages without a concept. When I want to add a link back to a older passage now, I always have to close the edit screen, search the passage title and then again go back to the edit screen. Autocompletion would be awesome but a simple popup with a list of all passage titles would be quite sufficient.

- open a dialog box
twine offers variables and macros but I could not find a simple way to open a dialog box or add a text input field to save the users name in a variable.

In my opinion this are basic features. After a realy smooth start I ended up googling those issues, instead of writing the story.

just my 2cents
Robert

Comments

• I can program Javascript myself and these don't sound like basic features to program on top of what text editing code is already there. Could you supply the javascript code to show us how simple it is? Perhaps I'm just inexperienced and I'm overthinking it.

For your 1st question - yes, you add an img tag to add a html image element. Dragging and dropping a file to auto-generate that html would raise then question of where that image is going to be stored. Does it upload it to a site? Does it stay in memory somehow? Does it remember the location from where you dragged it from? Which would be best?

In answer to your third issue, you can input a name like so:
    (put: (prompt:"What's your name?") into $name)
    Hello $name
    Some of the other threads have covered hacks to have html input boxes on the page.
  • I think by "basic" features, Robert means that they are feature requests that could come with the stock Twine 2 (and hopefully easier to figure out without a lot of program experience/searching). I don't think he's saying they'd be super easy requests to implement, just nice to have.
  • The story format you use to create your story effects what features are available to you.

Asamak wrote:

- adding a simple image
    .........but using html tags look like a workaround.

Harlowe (the default story format) currently requires you to use HTML to display images, while SugarCube includes image related markup.

There are technical restrictions (default localStorage size) that make embedding image inside your project like Twine 1 allows impractical.

Asamak wrote:

- open a dialog box
    ......or add a text input field to save the users name in a variable.

Harlowe has a (prompt:) macro, while SugarCube has a <<textbox>> macro.

The GUI related features you listed would all be nice but when developing any application there is always a trade off between adding more features to a release and the delay to releasing the application due to adding those features.
  • Thank you for your tipps, I will try them out.  :)

I just realized, that twine 2 was released in December 2014. So, hopefully there will be a lot of updates in the future. Is there a official roadmap?