Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Can't Install SugarCube

Hi.

I'm trying to install and use the SugarCube story format. Here are the instructions I am trying to follow: http://www.motoslave.net/sugarcube/2/docs/twine-2.html

I followed all of the instructions, but I only get an error message saying "The story format at file:///C:/Users/Baker/Twine/Twine 2.0.3/storyformats/SugarCube-2/format.js could not be added (Could not load story format source)."

Here's a more detailed explanation of what I did.

I saved and extracted the SugarCube-2 format file to the story formats section of my Twine folder.

I then went to the SugarCube-2 file in my Twine folder. I went to the top of the window in order to display the file location, which was listed as "C:\Users\Baker\Twine\Twine 2.0.3\storyformats\SugarCube-2".

I then added "file:///" to the front of this address and changed the backslashes to forward slashes, as instructed to by the instructions posted above. I also added "format.js" to the end. I ended up with this: "file:///C:/Users/Baker/Twine/Twine 2.0.3/storyformats/SugarCube-2/format.js"

As far as I can tell, that is the correct file location. However when I type this in at the "Add a new story format" page, I get the error message listed above which says that the story format source could not be loaded.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    just shorten it to where it starts where all the other ones start. Relative URLs do the trick. So when you look in your file the other ones will all have the same format. For example if you looked at the Snowman path in that file and then just made your path something similar. Does that make sense?
  • Oh... one caveat... which I just faced... maybe don't change the name to just plain SugarCube, like I did. Apparently you can have more than one SugarCube format if you want. I prefer to have only the newest one but I guess some people need the backwards compatibility.
  • edited June 2015
    just shorten it to where it starts where all the other ones start. Relative URLs do the trick. So when you look in your file the other ones will all have the same format. For example if you looked at the Snowman path in that file and then just made your path something similar. Does that make sense?

That kind of makes sense.

When I check the location of Snowman I get the following: "C:\Users\Baker\Twine\Twine 2.0.3\storyformats\Snowman".

As far as I can tell all of the information is exactly the same as it is for the SugarCube-2 file, except that "SugarCube-2" is replaced with "Snowman".

I looked at your example from twine.js. I have no idea what I'm looking at though.
  • That has been my experience too. And it works for me. The problem is that I don't think it is CORRECT, per se... but it works. Know what I mean? If you read my thread on SugarCube 2 not rendering new games you will see what I mean.
  • So, wait. Did this work for you? Or is it still not?

Did you use the path similar to Snowman, for example?
  • edited June 2015
  • edited June 2015
    Still not working. I didn't change anything. My file path was already identical to the file path to Snowman, (with SugarCube-2 switched out for the Snowman part), so there was nothing to change.

So, the file path for Snowman is "C:\Users\Baker\Twine\Twine 2.0.3\storyformats\Snowman" and the file path for SugarCube is "C:\Users\Baker\Twine\Twine 2.0.3\storyformats\SugarCube-2".

When I change the file path as the guide tells me to (reversal of slashes, adding "format.js" to the end and adding the file:/// part) I just get the error message.
  • Thorston wrote: »
    I saved and extracted the SugarCube-2 format file to the story formats section of my Twine folder.

I then went to the SugarCube-2 file in my Twine folder. I went to the top of the window in order to display the file location, which was listed as "C:\Users\Baker\Twine\Twine 2.0.3\storyformats\SugarCube-2".

I then added "file:///" to the front of this address and changed the backslashes to forward slashes, as instructed to by the instructions posted above. I also added "format.js" to the end. I ended up with this: "file:///C:/Users/Baker/Twine/Twine 2.0.3/storyformats/SugarCube-2/format.js"
    Did you actually extract the archive and how did you do it? Note that Windows Explorer can explore ZIP archives without actually extracting anything from them (which will not work in this case, the archive must be extracted).

Sage wrote: »
    just shorten it to where it starts where all the other ones start. Relative URLs do the trick.
    Note that relative URLs do not work with the current NW.js-based versions (as their working directories are stuffed into a local application data directory, which varies by OS and version). That doesn't seem to be an issue here as Thorston is apparently still using Twine 2.0.3, but it is something to keep in mind.
  • Thanks TME, I actually did not know that!

:)

Thanks
  • edited June 2015
    Hi,

To TheMadExile,

I opened the zipped folder with WinRar and right-clicked the folder, then clicked "extract to specified folder". I then chose the destination folder. I'm pretty sure that extracted it, but I'm not an expert with these things.

When I go to the file in it's file location and right click it (talking about the format.js here) I get an option to compress the file, but no option to unzip it. Furthermore the file size is listed as just above 300 kb, whereas the zipped file was just above 100 kb. My thinking is that this means the file was extracted. I could be wrong though. Is there another way to check?

Thanks to both of you.
  • same issue here.
    Getting me dang crazy, hughh !
  • Not sure if this is still a problem for you guys, but if it helps you or posterity at all, I struggled with this for a while and finally cracked it. You need to be using the OFFLINE (local) version of Twine 2, not the web version. Download it here: https://twinery.org/
    and you're good to go.
  • JamesB01 wrote: »
    You need to be using the OFFLINE (local) version of Twine 2, not the web version.
    The web-browser based release of Twine 2 is available in both a hosted/online version and a local/off-line version.

As most people know the hosted version is available via a link on the main page of the Twine website. The local/off-line version can be downloaded from the Twine 2 project's downloads page, the web-browser based releases are the ZIP files that do not include an operating system name shortcut in their file names.

eg. twine_2.0.11.zip is the download for the current stable release, and twine_2.1.0b1.zip is the download for the new beta.

To use one of the local web-browser based releases just download the relevant ZIP file, extract its contents into a folder on your local hard-drive, and then open the index.html file with your web-browser.

You now have an off-line version of the web-browser based application that you can add/install third-party story formats like SugarCube 2 to. As an added bonus you can also now use your web-browser's Developer Tools when using both the Test and Play options.
  • Did you add format.js to the end of that URL?