Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I make a game automatically move to an new passage after a set period of time?

There are some places in my story where I'd like the game to show a passage for a few seconds and then automatically move to the next passage. I've seen this done before, but I don't know haw to do it myself. Can anyone point me to a tutorial? I'm using Halowe in Twine 2, btw.

Comments

• You can use Harlowe's (live:) macro to move to the next passage.

The following example will move to the Next Passage after five seconds has past.
    note: s = seconds, ms = milliseconds
    The contents of the current passage

(live: 5s)[(goto: "Next Passage")]

• edited October 2015
    Thanks! This works great! Is there a way to make it fade out instead of abruptly cutting to the next passage, though?
  • I believe that both the markup link and the (goto:) macro use the same showPassage function to do the switching from one passage to another, if that is true then the same dissolve visual effect should effect both equally. This thread discusses the dissolve visual effect that is being used.

You could try modifying a copy of Harlowe's CSS that controls the relevant transition in/out effect.